Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Broadcasting in "N" but connected as "B"

• Please log in to reply

Oblivionon360

Oblivionon360

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
I have a D-Link 615 router that i have manually set up to only broadcast in an "N" network, now all my devices say they are connected as "N" but when i go into my router and check the status of all wireless devices, it says they are all connected as 802.11b. from my experience there should be no reason for them to be recognized as B if they are not actually connected as "B" any assistance here would be great

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Many wireless devices, especially older ones, do not support the 'N' wireless protocol.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 10 May 2011 - 04:16 AM.

Oblivionon360

Oblivionon360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Well that may be the case for some eople but im refering to the xbox slim that come with built in wifi n networking and my brand new lapto that aso does n networking but yet they still connect as B according to the router

ja9219

ja9219

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
What security are you running, by security I mean wep, wpa, wpa2. Try changing it to wpa2+aes. Let me know how you make out.

Oblivionon360

Oblivionon360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Ok i double checked and everything is the same as you recomended, i am loading in pictures of what i mean.

I first double checked my password setting

Then i double checked my network broadcast mode

And finally a picture that clearly shows being connected in 802.11b

Attached Thumbnails

• Security type.png
  • wireless mode.png
  • Wireless signal.png

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hello Oblivionon360:

Please have a look at second picture - Wireless Channel right now the value is 2.437 GHz this frequency corresponds to G please select 5.6 GHz channel to get Draft "N" broadcast

Oblivionon360

Oblivionon360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Well i attempted to change to 5.6 but it appears that it does not have this option. as shown in my attatched photo, i have multiple 2gh but no 5.6

Attached Thumbnails

• network selections.png

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hi Oblivionon360:

I am unsure why you don't have this option, you may want to visit DIR-615 Wireless N 300 Router for drivers, firmware, installation guides, and other resources

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Hello Oblivionon360:

Please have a look at second picture - Wireless Channel right now the value is 2.437 GHz this frequency corresponds to G please select 5.6 GHz channel to get Draft "N" broadcast

That's not true read here:

http://en.wikipedia....iki/IEEE_802.11

As far as the connection problem, have you tried leaving it on auto/mixed mode and see if that makes a difference( i mean instead of N only)?