Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

80070424 on Vista

• Please log in to reply

spiralstatic

spiralstatic

• Pip
  • 2 posts
All right...Since fall, I haven't been able to update Windows. Every time I try, I get something like "Windows cannot search for updates error 80070424."

I had Avast, but when it updated to 5.0, I couldn't update. I've uninstalled Avast and tried to reinstall, but no luck. It tells me something about not being able to start because the side-by-side configuration is incorrect. I get the same thing when I try to download AVG or any other antivirus.

Today my girlfriend attempted to download iTunes, but not even that would download.

One suggestion I've found is to download C++. I've tried that, and when I do, it tells me something about error 1935.

This has all been going on since my laptop was unplugged and died during a Windows update.

I've tried a ton of stuff, and I can't really recall what I've attempted so far. But, nothing has worked.

Eh, eh?!

Advertisements

spiralstatic

spiralstatic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Anybody?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Let's start with the easy fix. If you know when the Windows Update failed, and have a restore point from before that date, run a System Restore.

Moved to Windows 7 forum