Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP A6720f freezes at startup

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep I would say the controller on the mobo is bad. :)

Advertisements

cowboy.frank

cowboy.frank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
So how can I fix this? Will I need to get a new board or is there a simple fix?

cowboy.frank

cowboy.frank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
And what could have caused this? Could it be a heat issue? I am in Arizona!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes a new motherboard is what you will need.
The motherboard is a electrical component and any number of reason could be the cause of the failure.
Over heating is just one of the possible causes.
How many fans are located inside the case for the system?
Normally you have one on the cpu on the mobo.
There is one located inside the PSU.
There also may be a rear or front fan to help pull air in or blow it out of the case.

cowboy.frank

cowboy.frank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I was hoping it wasn't the board. I have the three fans that you mentioned (CPU, rear, and power supply). In your opinion would you say just get a new PC or get a new MB?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
All hd's work in another system and are seen in the bios with no problems.
The system boots up but does not pass the identifying the hd's part of the bootup.
That tells me the PSU is working and the mobo other then booting is not finding anything hooked to a controller at all.

Now you could take the PSU out and have it tested but I honestly don't believe it to be the PSU.
Even testing the mobo outside of the case with only what is needed to boot the mobo the system still will not identify any hd connected to it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 24 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

cowboy.frank

cowboy.frank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I replaced the MB and everything is working just fine now. Don't know what caused it to go bad, wasn't but like 2 years old or so, Thanks again for all the help. If I ever have another problem I'll post again here.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Motherboard like most components in a system are mechanical and electrical. They go bad over time, some faster then others. I am happy to see you got it resolved with a replacement mobo and everything is working correctly now for you.
Congratulations. :unsure: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :yes:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible