Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to find WiFI Networks on Acer 3810T w/ Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Mark W

Mark W

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have an Acer 3810T laptop and am running Windows 7 on it.
The problem I've had is my WiFi has been unstable. For example for 5 minutes or sometimes up to an hour I can easily find wifi networks in range of my laptop but then out of nowhere it disappears and I don't find any networks but any other WiFi device will find my router so I know it's laptop related.
I did some research on Google and found out this is an issue others have had with Windows 7 and it seems to be something to do with when updates are installed. I followed the advice to remove my WiFi drivers and reinstall them so I downloaded a file for the Intel drivers from Acer's website.
I went into Control Panel and removed 2 devices that were related to WiFi. I then did a scan for hardware and found one wifi device, an Intel WiFI Link 5100AGN. I installed the driver for this one. The problem is I know I removed two and this is the only one the scan found and I can't remember the name of the other wifi device/driver I removed.
Unfortunately ever since I did this my WiFi isn't working. In the control panel it shows all drivers are installed and working but when I click on the bars at the bottom of my screen no wifi networks show. I have tried going into the Network and Sharing Center and for example I select set up a connection or network and when I select Manually Connect to a wireless network it states "An Unexpected Error Occured" so I know something is missing that's allowing the WiFI to work. I hope when I get it corrected it may solve the original issue I had but does anyone know how I can get this working once again?

Thank you for your help.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You might try using Windows' "System Restore" to roll Windows back to a previous state when your computer was functioning correctly:

Edited by SpywareDr, 10 May 2011 - 03:55 AM.

Mark W

Mark W

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I didn't think of using System Restore but I'll give that a try.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Got my fingers crossed . . . :)