Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Annoying display issues

• Please log in to reply

space sapien

space sapien

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
My display on my screen has being going black. No signal whatsoever. I've rebooted and funny white lines appear on the splash screens and windows logo screen. It sometimes rights itself and I can get back to the desktop, but at random minutes/hours later the monitor power light turns amber and I can't get the picture to come back on short of a cold reboot. Sometimes on the window's screen a cracked blue grid appears. Once I rebooted and random break ups appeared on screen. I've tried re-seating the graphics card, re-installing windows and graphic's card drivers, but the problem still persists. The graphic's card is a Nvidia Geforce 7950GT and is obviously several years old now. My MOBO is an Asus Pq5 deluxe and is slightly younger. I can only think it must be a hardware fault, probably the graphic's card fault. Please help as I obviously don't want to waste money buying something that isn't required.

Cheers in advance.
Space Sapien.

Edited by space sapien, 10 May 2011 - 03:05 PM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The first thing you need to do is swap monitors with another machine. If the 2nd monitor on your PC does the same thing, then you know it is a problem with your computer or graphics solution. If the problem follows your monitor to another machine, you then know your monitor is failing.

In the meantime, you need to ensure the interior of your computer is free from heat trapping dust and that all your fans are spinning.

space sapien

space sapien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Just done that funnily enough and the problem persists. Checked that graphics card fan spinning and this is fine. I vacummed (carefully) the insides of the PC and once again no joy. Think I'll take the graphic's card out and test it on my brother's computer tomorrow. Beginning to think it's got to be the graphic's card. Will find out tomorrow. Hope it's just the graphic's card as I don't want it to be the MOBO.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Keep us posted.

space sapien

space sapien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Tested Graphic's card and discovered that it was indeed the cause of the issue. Now got freezing issues on PC, but that I suspect is an entirely different story altogether.

Thanks.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, if put in a new, more powerful graphics card, you may have put too much demand on the power supply - and it may be causing your system to freeze. So too can heat.

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Another angle, if you are now using your on board graphics, make sure you uninstall the nvidia driver and instal the correct driver from your mother board manufacturer.