Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I restore to factory state without a cd?

• Please log in to reply

Indian Dj

Indian Dj

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok I have a Sony Vaio VGC-RB30.....I think I bought it 4 or 5 years ago.....It has Windows XP....I think I have some viruses or something, and I have tried AVG, Avaira, etc. etc. and it does some work, but it doesnt work 100% and so basically im having problems with my computer....So....I would like to do the Recovery thing to get it back to Factory state....I have everything I need backed up so I dont care about keeping everything....And I have no Recovery CD....And my CD Rom does not work (it didnt work before the problems so it has nothing to do with these problems).....So.....Is there a way to recover without the cd? I seem to remember doing this before without the cd while pressing F - Something when the computer is starting, but its not working now....And two....What is the difference between Recovery and restore? .... I dont mind doing a restore or recovery, which ever will get me back to the way it was with the factory restore. . . . Please help.... Ive been doing research and nothing helps....im close to taking it into a store and having them do it if it is possible . . . . Email me if you want to

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Instead of doing all that why not let our Malware Techs clean the system out and save the date. If there is a chance they can do it then you would not have to worry about recovery.
Restore will take the system back to before the problem started but will not rid you of any active infection.
I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Indian Dj

Indian Dj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
can anyone help me? ?

and i want it to back to factory part

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I replied to you but if you want to do a complete format then try this.

Sony:
The key to use is F10 at Sony logo on startup to access the Recovery Partition. This should wipe the drive clean and restore it back to factory new settings.

If no recovery partition is present then you will need to order a set of recovery disks from Sony. Should be less then 50USD.
If you want all the original drivers for your system then go HERE

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 23 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.