Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

boot up problem

• Please log in to reply

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
it has been on windows is starting up for three hours. is this normal?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope
Did chkdsk run?

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
yes it did as far as i know i had to take my wife to work and when i can back it was in the reboot mode and it's still in the same place for 6.5 hrs now. should i restart and run chkdsk again?

Edited by abrahams child, 15 May 2011 - 08:04 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just restart, if chkdsk needs to run it will when you reboot.

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
the only problem now is that it continues to do the same thing over and over, ckdsk then freeze at windows is startin up, plus i can not start up my computer in the safe mode as it freezes at the beginning with a list of all the drivers etc. should i use my xp disk to do a repair? or recovery?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
  • Boot the computer from your Windows XP CD.
  • When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen press [Enter] to start the Windows Setup.

Note: Do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
  • Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
  • Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and then press [R] to start the repair. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
  • Do not press any key to boot from CD if and when such a message appears. Setup will then continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

How to perform a re-install of WinXP
http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;315341

Repair XP
http://www.webtree.c...Existing Setup:

WinXP Non-destructive Total Rebuild
http://www.informati...cleID=189400897

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
when i put the xp installation disck in and did a restart it did not go to windows setup but booted up. i'm goimg to run chkdsk one more time to see if it will reboot when finished. if the computer doesn't want to recognize the xp setup disk at startup can i access program at the dvd drive? i'll let you know what happens with the chkdsk.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Did you reset the BIOS to try and boot from the CD/DVD drive before the hard drive?

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
i went and checked the boot sequence in bios and i did have the dvd/cdrom as first boot. when i exited bios it booted up to the desktop. i'm going to run a chkdsk and see if will bootup when finished. it is acting oddly.

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
i ran chkdsk /r and rebooted and said the disk is clean. i'm going to run chkdsk /f now.

Advertisements

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
i ran chkdsk /f which ran rather quickly. do you want to see a event log?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
yes please. Sorry I have not been around much today. I had my KB fry this morning and unknowingly rebooted my system which without a KB my system defaults to Linux. I had to find a on screen KB for Linux which took me some time. :)

angieKae

angieKae

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:) These solutions are all great but I cannot even get into the boot menu at all because my eMachine does not recognize my password that I know is correct. Is there a universal OS password that will let me into my eMachine? Otherwise any disc is not useful as it can't boot from disc, manual, or otherwise. I am running windows vista as my OS.

Edited by angieKae, 25 May 2011 - 03:32 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes and then replace it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 28 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.