Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How much free space should I leave in OS partition ?

• Please log in to reply

georgetok

georgetok

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi,

I just got a new PC with following configuration and have made 9 partitions on my 500 GB hard disk and

have 2nd 500 GB HDD as slave with 2 partitions, one has Win -7 Ultimate & 2nd partition is where I store Movies & Video Files.

The OS Partition is 100Gb & I have installed all applications in OS Partion.

All the applications with Win -7 Ultimate 64 bit has taken up 50 GB space.

I do download some stuff everyday & it goes in Downloads folder & takes up upto 25 GB of space.

Thus I am left with 25 GB free space.

In order to have a lightening fast performance, how much free space should I leave in the OS Partitions ?

Here are the specs of my system :

Intel Core i-7 2600 Sandy Bridge ( 3.4 GHz ) Processor

8 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz

Windows -7 Ultimate ( 64 bit )

500 GB Sata 3.0Gb/s HDD

Second 500 GB HDD which I am using as a slave drive to store Movies etc.

Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio

Hauppauge® WinTV-HVR-1200 Hybrid Analog/Digital TV Tuner

1 GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT420 as default video card.

Thank You.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Rule of thumb is to never let your free space fall below 12 to 15 percent on your OS partition.
AT your present description you are at 25%.
Anything lower the 12 will possibly corrupt your MFT and your system may not boot correctly.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sent via a pm.

Thank You for your help.

I have one more question :

Are 9 Partitions on a single HDD too many ?

One of my partition has 150 GB data. Is it wise to put that much data in a single folder ?

Thanks again.

That is more then I would put on a drive. I have a 500 gig hd with 3 partitions on it with 3 different OS's.
I would have put the 500 in for just OS's. Then had a larger 2nd drive split up into 4 250 gig partitions for data of different types.
The question is does it all work with no problems? If you make sure that no OS drive drops below 15% free space you should be ok.