Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

BlueEew

BlueEew

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Okay my desktop broke the other week and I haven't time to fix it at the moment as I have just had my first child, so I bought a new Laptop. However I need to access the HD on the Desktop.

I was told there is an adaptor you can use to plug the Desktop HD into the Laptop to access the files. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
BlueEew.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What you need is a external hd enclosure for your desktop hd.
You need to know is your desktop hd IDE or SATA to make sure to get the right one.
Then you have to have a USB connection to your laptop which I'm sure you do.
What you need would be something like these HERE.
These will do either SATA or IDE so it makes it easier to work with.

BlueEew

BlueEew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks alot. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Once plugged in the laptop should see the drive in my computer. You can then backup all your documents, pictures, videos, movies, music.
Can I ask what the issue is with the desktop computer?
We may be able to get it working depending on the issue it is having.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 20 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.