Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless internet help

• Please log in to reply

radelan

radelan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I have been searching for an answer to my problem but nothing on the internet seems to help here goes...

I was trying to connect to the internet on my HP Tablet, I dont know how to find out the specs on it but if you tell me I can find them. It has Wndows XP on it, the tablet addition. I was trying to connect to the internet but after it connected it said limited or no connectivity. I clicked the repair button in the properties window and it tried to renew my IP adress, I had at the same time been downloading camera software from a disk to my computer and it promted me to shut down before could use it. The IP adress renewal was taking a very long time so I canceled it to restart my computer thinking I could do the same thing once it was restarted and have my camera software to playwith while I was waiting. Instead it said that no wireless networks were found in range, which is silly because my other laptop is connected to the wireless network just fine.

I tried to renew my IP adress by going to run, and typing in 'cmd' to get the box with the black background, I typed 'ipconfig' and it gave me:

Windows IP configuration

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IP adress. . . : 169.254.250.52
Subnet mask. . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway. . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media Status . . . . . . . . . . : Media Disconnected

C: \Documents and Settings\Administrator> (this is the part where I released it) ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected.

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IP adress. . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet mask. . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway. . . . . . . . . :

Media State . . . . . . . . . . : Media Disconnected

C: \Documents and settings\Administrator> (This is where tried to renew it) ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occured while renewing interface wireless network connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected.

C: \Documents and settings\Administrator> (I also put in ipconfig /all to see what might be wrong it reads)

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : user-9668fe7a55
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : UnKnown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Connection-dspecific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel<R> PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-6f-12-d1-5d
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enablled. . . . : Yes
Autoconnfiguration IP Address . . : 169.254.250.52
Subnet Mask . . . . . . .. . . . .: 255.255.0.0
Default gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Media State . . . . . . . . . . : Media Disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
Physical address. . . . . . . . : 00-16-d4-03-48-fe

C: \Documents and settings\Administrator>

If you can help that would be great! thanks :)

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

Try altering the wireless channel to a different number (preferrably higher) with your router's configuration utility in your web-browser.