Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG 2011 - Updating

• Please log in to reply

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I have AVG 2011 and like it very much, but it updates every day and poses a nuisance when I logon and wish to use my PC.

OK, updating is necessary for these programs, but when AVG starts it`s antics, the entire computer is rendered useless. It appears to drain the battery so much that nothing can be done until it stops. I had this pain with Comodo, which is why I dumped it, now AVG is at it.

Can anybody tell me why this updating takes so much out of my PC that it becomes completely useless until AVG has finished doing what AVG has to do ?

If I try and configure AVG for manual updating by disabling the auto-update, I get a barrage of red messages saying that Armageddon is about to happen.

Many thanks
John

Edited by John Bull, 18 May 2011 - 09:14 AM.

Advertisements

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Without knowing your computer specs it's hard to say why AVG is slowing your pc down so much. I've had AVG in the past and it was a resource hog at the time. Why not dump it for something else? I recommend:

Avast Free

or

microsoft security essentials

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
I agree with gorham...dump it!

I use Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials on several different computers. Though Avast does update daily you can set it to do so quietly without you even knowing it is updating and MSE is also quiet as a mouse.

If you do choose to go for the change make sure to install your choice to the desktop and do not install it till you have used the AVG Remover then install the new AV of your choice.

:)

Edited by DonnaB, 18 May 2011 - 12:17 PM.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Without knowing your computer specs it's hard to say why AVG is slowing your pc down so much. I've had AVG in the past and it was a resource hog at the time. Why not dump it for something else? I recommend:

Avast Free

or

microsoft security essentials

AVG is well known as a resource drainer. I Do not find normal activity any problem, it is just their updating that lets all the air out of my tyres. It appears to completely gobble up the memory on updating, leaving nothing for anything else.

OK, I just wait until it finishes, but waiting quite a while is infuriating.
The screenshot is typical.

You have me interested in Avast which I did try once. I`ll gen up on it and maybe give it a try.

Posted Image

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

I agree with gorham...dump it!

I use Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials on several different computers. Though Avast does update daily you can set it to do so quietly without you even knowing it is updating and MSE is also quiet as a mouse.

If you do choose to go for the change make sure to install your choice to the desktop and do not install it till you have used the AVG Remover then install the new AV of your choice.

Thank you.

As you will see from my other post, I am considering trying Avast. If it really has all the benefits shown here :- http://www.filehippo...vast_antivirus/ then I will be more than happy.

I like the AVG Remover you mention, it looks good for a clean sweep. But as I just "may" revert back to AVG 2011, using their normal uninstaller should be fine as it does leave behind files and records that are utilised when AVG is reinstalled. They do no harm, are not active and comprise just records in the Registry etc. storing personal settings and details that AVG reactivates on a reinstallation. Saves reinventing the wheel.

Just a point. My OP concerns purely the inconvenience of a heavy and lengthy update. As a user of Sandboxie, just like those who use Returnil, the individual merits of AV programs are superfluous to requirements. I personally like to have one, but many do not. An AV does no harm, but neither does it do any good when using these virtual programs.

I have not had a single infection on my system in the many months of using Sandboxie.

Edited by John Bull, 18 May 2011 - 05:16 PM.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Right ,that is it !

I logged on this morning and AVG started updating - the whole system drained and i just sat there getting older.

Verdict ! AVG get`s dumped and in comes Avast. I cannot tolerate having my computer disabled for long periods while AVG update their infernal database.

Thanks everybody.

AVG is good, but when it means that a user has to wait the rest of their life just to let AVG update their damned database every time they logon, then it is time to change.

John

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi John!

Verdict ! AVG get`s dumped and in comes Avast.

Good choice! You will have to register Avast via E-mail. This I found to be the only pitfall and it will need to be registered again when your yearly subscription runs out.

Also, if you don't like the sounds, right click on the Avast ball in the notification tray and choose Open Avast! user interface and select Settings at the top right then Sounds in the left pane and uncheck any you don't want. Avast may update its definitions several times a day. This is a good thing unless you leave the sound on.

If you have any questions what so ever, please don't hesitate to ask.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Hi John!

Verdict ! AVG get`s dumped and in comes Avast.

Good choice! You will have to register Avast via E-mail. This I found to be the only pitfall and it will need to be registered again when your yearly subscription runs out.

Also, if you don't like the sounds, right click on the Avast ball in the notification tray and choose Open Avast! user interface and select Settings at the top right then Sounds in the left pane and uncheck any you don't want. Avast may update its definitions several times a day. This is a good thing unless you leave the sound on.

If you have any questions what so ever, please don't hesitate to ask.

Donna,

I downloaded this :- http://www.filehippo...vast_antivirus/ It says FREE, but the program has an expiry date on it of June 18th 2011 and is jibbing me to register for a licence.

I am interested in the FREE version as per the above link, I don`t want any expiry date or registration pain thrown at me.
What is going on ? I download a FREE edition and get this junk popping up. Is Avast FREE or not ? Somebody should get their facts right, either Filehippo or Avast.

I can soon try Avira, Comodo or even go back to AVG, but am not putting up with this nonesense.

Edited by John Bull, 20 May 2011 - 07:47 AM.

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
It's free. Just register, it'll ask your name, email and age, computer experience. It's a way to keep up with how many people are actually using the product( I think). It'll be good for a year and then you do it again. Trust me it's worth it.

Edited by gorham, 20 May 2011 - 09:16 AM.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

It's free. Just register, it'll ask your name, email and age, computer experience. It's a way to keep up with how many people are actually using the product( I think). It'll be good for a year and then you do it again. Trust me it's worth it.

Many thanks, Yes I trust you. I always get twitchy when somebody asks me to register, especially where money is concerned.

John

Posted Image