Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection only in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

billymoose88

billymoose88

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi G2G 1st time post.My system is XP Pro SP3 ASUS mobo 512 DDR1 Ram memory.A/V AVG Free 2011 MBAM and Super Anti Spyware.C drive 80 gig 2nd drive 150 gig.

Problem:-- Any device connected to any usb port causes computer to crash--litterally --black screen.Have to do cold re-start;which is how I power up anyway as the front microswitch is not reliable;I switch off at the power supply.
I can only connect to Internet using Safe Mode with Networking;which sometimes crashes as well.AVG Free scan ok Super Anti Spyware scan ok MBAM scan ok but "needs to close...report problem to Microsoft"-(this was in Safe Mode) when I tried to do a thorough scan.Tried EMISoft Malware but it stopped after 2% scan; havent tried it in safe mode.
I would appreciate any helpfull advice.Thanks.

Edited by SweetTech, 20 May 2011 - 05:20 PM.
moved from Serious discussion forum to XP forum.--ST

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

512 DDR1

which is how I power up anyway as the front microswitch is not reliable;I switch off at the power supply.

I am not suggesting that these are the cause of your current problems, but neither of them are helping.

You cannot run XP successfully with 512Mb ram.
The commonly accepted successful minimum for XP and other software which you no doubt have is really 1Gb.
Additionally your really do need to sort out that front panel switch, as presumably that is permanantly ON.
How are you closing down, if you are simply switching off as you suggest then each time you do so, instead of windows closing all applications and ceasing writing to the hard drive, you are likely to encounter disc errors.

How much free space is there on the hard drive carrying windows, presumably the 80Gb and what is the 150Gb - internal or external drive, and what it is used for.