Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

processor upgrade problem

• Please log in to reply

someguy12

someguy12

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi,

Recently i tried to replace my old processor, an Intel E4500 which was overheating, with an E7200. however, after upgrading there is no picture on my monitor when the pc turns on. The computer appears to turn on fine, and the processor seems to be working just based off of it heating up, but i cannot even get to the bios of my pc. The old processor still works when i reinsert it, albeit only for a short while due to the overheating, so i can still do some stuff.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte P35-DS3L, graphics card is a nividia 9600 gt and there is a 500w power supply.

I don't have a way to test the processor on another machine atm, so i cannot be sure that that is not the problem and that it works correctly, but i figured i should try a few options before getting rid.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You probably need a BIOS update. you need either BIOS version F8 for that processor to work on that board.
http://www.gigabyte....x?pid=2629#bios

someguy12

someguy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
i shouls probably have mentioned that i did already update the Bios before posting this, and still received no picture when the new processor was reinserted. However, I as i have not updated bios before i may not have done it correctly and could perhaps try again.