Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sporadic CPU Spike Issues and Screen Static

• Please log in to reply

Tokay

Tokay

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi there.

Recently, my computer began having intense CPU spikes (100 percent usage) often, when playing games or videos. It is not something that is constantly occuring, but I can expect every few minutes or so, the computer will start running incredibly slow, to the point that it is almost impossible to open task manager. At first, I began to look at the running processes, expecting that an unknown program or virus was causing the problem, but I was surprised to find out that the major CPU drain was the very program I'd been using (whichever that was at the time). This is the first time this has happened, and seemingly unwarranted, as I have enough RAM and am not running many programs at once. When this happens, the program starts to gradually slow and become unresponsive, eventually nearly freezing altogether. In addition, the screen has been displaying quick, horizontal static across the screen. The spike seems to normally last around 4-5 minutes, at which time the computer will begin running like normal, through no action of my own. I've tried looking at startup processes, and I have run Avira Anti-virus scans, hoping to find anything unusual. I have also tried booting the computer in safe mode, and although I could not address the problem, as safe mode does not allow for games or movies to run, I did notice that I was getting a lot of error messages, including a crash of csrss.exe. I am not sure exactly what might be causing this problem, and my normal avenues aren't getting me very far. I included a hijackthis.log in case this is the work of malware, but I am unsure if it is.

Thanks for your time and help.

Attached Files

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Hi Tokay :)
Possible causes include heat or power supply issues, with limited info it is hard to suggest anything more.
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard , PSU and any add on card details would also help others to help you better.

If you suspect your system may have a malware issue I suggest you check out the self help guide at the malware forum http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/ if after following the guide you believe your system may still be infected you need to start a new topic there and not post any malware logs on this forum as they are not used here, provide them with a link to this thread to show them what if any steps have been taken.
Once you get the all clear from the malware guys if the issue is not resolved return here and someone will assist you.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Firstly, welcome to GeekstoGo.

HiJack logs cannot be used in this forum. In its general scan purpose they are only allowed in the Malware forum.
Here we can only look at various aspects of the log, namely the startup items and a couple of other aspects.

Please do the fiollowing
1. Check that you have System Restore points and that you can still access system restore. DO not restore at this stage
2. Establish a restore point.
3. Run this software please
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.
4.After you have run TFC please run System File checker
Go Start and then to Run
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
f you don't have Windows CD....

Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK
Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

5. Now run a chkdsk - Start, run, type "cmd" without quotes
Type "chkdsk C: /r" without quotes and presuming windows is on C drive
Agree to run on restart and do so please.
DO NOT INTERRUPT the chkdsk.

6. Now run disk defrag on Start, Programs Accessories, System Tools and click the analyse button and then if windows deems it necessary, click the report button and establish the level of fragmentation.
If more than 10%, you will be there all day using the Windows defrag.
Install Auslogics defrag and use that please.. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

• It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
  • It will actually show you what it is doing
  • At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
  • You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
  • It is faster then Windows Defrag
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.
http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

Please post back with the results having done all of the above.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 May 2011 - 10:08 AM.

Tokay

Tokay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
First off, thank you both for the welcome.

Secondly, to post more computer specific information, this is a laptop, a Dell Latitude D620, in which I have put replaced the RAM to bring it up to 2GB. The display is an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M. I apologize for the full HijackThis report- to be honest, I have been uncertain where exactly to post this issue, not yet knowing the cause.

I began to follow Macboatmaster's advice, getting so far as to create a System Restore point and downloading TFC. However, the moment I run TFC, my computer crashes, displaying a blue screen and the computer begins a memory dump. I tried to run it twice, with the same result both times. Is there any information I can dig up about the crash to help pinpoint the issue?

Many thanks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Has this problem occurred ONLY since and immediately after you replaced the RAM.
If so and the ram is in two 1Gb sticks, take out that ram, so that you then have what was in before.

Check the seating of the ram, to ensure you have the sticks inserted fully into the slots.

Please provide the full model details and service tag.

Tokay

Tokay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I put in the RAM quite a long time ago. I was just giving computer details.

Sorry if that was confusing. My computer does indeed confirm there is 2GB of RAM inside.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I doubt if it will run, after you say TFC causes a crash, but try this and click the analyse button, this will produce an analysis of the crash dump
http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

If it will run, please copy and paste the results of the analysis into your reply. Please paste as the actual results not as a file that I have to open.

If it still crashes please clean boot it
http://support.micro....com/kb/310353/
Use the manual procedure only as far as and including step 3 pls.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 May 2011 - 11:59 AM.

Tokay

Tokay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Alright, I ran it, and thankfully no crash. So here is the information that I got from WhoCrashed.

---

Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 5/23/2011 7:16:24 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini052311-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0x22F43)
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF8A5FD3B8, 0xFFFFFFFF8A5FD52C, 0xFFFFFFFF805D29B4)
Error: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 5/23/2011 7:16:24 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0xB2B)
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF8A5FD3B8, 0xFFFFFFFF8A5FD52C, 0xFFFFFFFF805D29B4)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 5/23/2011 6:54:46 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini052311-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0x22F43)
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF8A604458, 0xFFFFFFFF8A6045CC, 0xFFFFFFFF805D29B4)
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 5/20/2011 5:39:27 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini052011-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0x635E3)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF8053A5E3, 0xFFFFFFFFB4F9D89C, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

4 crash dumps have been found and analyzed.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Please check Device Manager, including show hidden devices for any warnings on your devices.

If NONE then Please run this

2. Run this please. Send me the url, that is the web address of the results page.
When you are on the results simply copy and paste the address bar.

I want you to run the overdrive test. Please do not download the suggested drivers from the results.
I merely want to see what it says.
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to "Run as Administrator". After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
RUN the test ANON
That is at the end of the page that opens - when you click the Overdrive test
If you do not wish to create a free user account, you can still run overdrive anonymously

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 May 2011 - 03:31 PM.

Tokay

Tokay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Before I go on, I wanted to note that while looking through my Device Manager, I noted that VSCore mferkdk shows a warning (Code 24).

Should I continue as per your instructions, or is this of any significant consequence?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Were you using McAfee before, as I zsee you have Avira now

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 May 2011 - 04:20 PM.

Tokay

Tokay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
No. This computer used to have McAfee installed, but I took it off. However, when I look through the add/remove programs list, I still see McAfee agent (not the other parts of it), and I cannot uninstall it, as it says that other programs are still using it.

So there's your more complicated answer. :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
That entry Code 24
is CODE 24 - Device not Found, This device is either missing or not working properly.

It refers to a McAfee installation and is left over from your attempt to remove it.
I doubt it has relevance to your cureent problem
Proceed with the Pitstop pls.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above and if and when we sort this you are best removing McAfee completely

If you're not using McAfee anymore, it might have expired? I would get rid of it anyway. Start by uninstalling it from "Programs and Features". Then, run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 May 2011 - 04:36 PM.

Tokay

Tokay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Wow, that was an interesting test. Here's the link:

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24378708