Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New with Should I or Should I Not?

• Please log in to reply

Ila

Ila

• Pip
  • 0 posts
Hello,

My name is Ila and I live in Maine.

I don't know a lot about the hardware side of computers. I use my laptop for my small home based business about 16 hours per day and yes, I know that's a lot more than its intended to get used but I also know I have to make a living.

I have 2 questions: First I have a Sony Vaio VGNNR430E. I need to replace the screen on but I can't find out if its LED or CCFL so I can order one. I've written Sony Tech Support twice and not gotten an answer and don't know where else to ask. Any answers, leads in that direction gratefully accepted.

2: I have a Toshiba Satellite L455-S5000, couple of years old. 2 things happened before I could not get it to boot up:

1) I began getting errors: Ke Notify: Your computer is running low on memory when I was not - closed down almost all, still occurred.

2) I installed a new HP Printer (4500, next morning 4 lights displayed on front but no HD sounds. Nothing on screen. Tried to view on alternate monitor, nothing. Took out battery, left set couple of hours, still 4 lights, no HD sounds, no screen.

The broken Toshiba is backed up to Carbonite. I've already ordered another laptop because I can't work on this Vaio.

If I purchase a new internal HD for the broken Toshiba, and retrieve my backup from Carbonite which I don't believe will have my OS System and all I need to get back up & running, how can I retrieve my OS and what I will need to get the new HD internet ready? Or will I just have a storage system? I purchased it at Best Buy and there is a WIN 7 Serial # on the bottom of the case.

Recommendations on where to get a hard drive for the broken Toshiba, any specs you can offer would be appreciated. Can I bypass the internal HD (350 GB) and run it off the external (HD 500 GB), I have if I can't get my OS so I can use it as a secondary work PC?

Please email me with answers or any clarifications you'd like as I'm sure I forgot something that is glaringly obvious.

Thank you.

Ila

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Your Sony display is a TFT active matrix this is what I found after researching (not a guarantee I am right).

For your Toshiba if you are sure it is your HD that is finished then the hidden partition on it where they put the files needed to reinstall your OS will also be finished, unless you received a dvd when you bought your laptop you will need a Windows 7 dvd of the same version as you have on your sticker and use your product key to do your new installation.

If you use another dvd of windows 7 please remember that none of the drivers that were included in your hidden partition will be included on it so you will have to find most of the chipset and hardware drivers by yourself.

You can try to contact Toshiba and see if they can supply a dvd made for your specific laptop.

It might not be your HD the culprit for your problems, make sure it is before buying a new one or you will have the same problems (low memory).
Low memory might be for different reasons, not enough free space on your HD, defective RAM, corrupted windows files ect.

Hope this will help.