Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot after removing malware

• Please log in to reply

dajuke

dajuke

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello All. New to the boards here. I am hoping there are some individuals here who have experience with bootcamp on IMacs as that is what my issue pertains to. I will describe my problem as best I can.

Just today I was running WinXP in bootcamp on my IMac and it was operating normally. I then was hit a self-install program called security pack 11 for windows. I was immediately suspicious as it suddenly began giving me multiple pop-ups telling me I had viruses and I needed to buy this program now to run scans on my computer. I looked it it up on the web and determined it was malware whose only purpose is to make me needlessly spend money. I found my way to these boards and actually was able to use the information here to guide me in the removal of this malware using a program called Malwarebytes. The removal appeared to work successfully removed the infected and malware files. My computer functioned normally afterward with no popups. However, the removal tool requested that I restart the computer to finish removal. I selected okay and my computer restarted. It booted up to the normal dual boot screen where I can choose mac or windows. I selected windows to continue the restart, and received nothing but a black screen with a single blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner. I have attempted to restart in safe mode by holding F8 during boot up to no avail. I am given no options or menus when attempting to boot into windows. I have tried pressing F1 and F2 as another user was able to do and still nothing happened. I do have my snow leopard disk, but I have searched high and low and have determined that I lost my Windows disk during our most recent move. So, with that information, I have two questions.

1.) Does anyone have a suggestion for me from this point in trying to boot into windows from my black screen?

2.) Must I use my original windows disk, or can I attempt to boot from a disk from a friend's windows disc? If so, how might I go about this?

REally hoping someone can help me. I do not want to have to purchase a new windows package and reinstall from scratch.

Advertisements