Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External HDD Enclosure Help!

• Please log in to reply

jarg1985

jarg1985

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi, it seems that I cannot access the data on my old hard drive that I just pulled from my old laptop. The problem that I had with my old laptop is that whenever I went to start up my other computer that runs Windows XP it crashes during the boot with a BSOD. This would happen when I booted it normally, in safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, everything crashed, nothing seemed to work. Before it had that problem I am not sure if it was malware related but i had many driver and gpu problems previously which may have contributed greatly to this, it could also be malware or a mix of both as I have no idea the distinction between the two. I feel it should also be mentioned that the computer and the hard drive that was getting these BSOD's on was running Windows XP on SP2, if that makes any difference about getting data off a HDD. The text that the BSOD's all seemed to have in general is of these sorts:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x867E05D8, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

Now thats the back story, so now, I removed the Western Digital HDD from the old laptop that was getting the BSOD's and moved it into an external hard disk enclosure with a usb cable connection, hoping to get the data off that drive onto my new computer. But when I hook it up to my new laptop, the drivers downloaded successfully, then when I try to access the drive it says it cannot access it and it needs to be formatted...which would cause the data to be erased...any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the long story also!
Also i think its fair to mention I am using a Coolmax 2.5 hard disk enclosure HD-280 Series, which also features a data backup button on it which i have not pressed and have no idea what it does. Thanks again! :)

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
As far as your backup button, I would read the manual for your enclosure.

It sounds like the drive is toast. If me, I don't like enclosures. The forums are flooded with people having problems with enclosures. So I would install that drive as a secondary drive (not the boot drive) in another computer. Then I would scan the heck out of it to ensure it was not infected, then try to recover any data. You might need a file recovery program like Recuva, from the makers of CCleaner or Restoration.