Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

service pack2 installed but service pack 3 still present

• Please log in to reply

el_jack

el_jack

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I had to do a repair install to a laptop that has windows xp. It went back to service pack 2. before i did the install the machine had service pack 3. Now the machine has a ntoskrnlpa.exe error. I went to the control panel in safemode and the service pack 3 is in the installed list. I tried to uninstall it and a window popped up saying the the following have changed (a list of files on the machine) and removing service pack 3 might cause them not to function correctly. The machine states that the machine currently has sp2 installed.

I want to know will the sp3 cause problems if I remove it. I thinking it may be the cause of the bosd. I can't do an update to sp3, an error window pops up and says access denied.

If there are any out there that has had a situation like this please feel free to give input.

Thanks alot

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Don't uninstall it.
Get SP3 from Microsoft's website, or Windows Update. This should replace everything and bring the system back to SP3 and a stable setup.