Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen & high cpu usage windows XP

• Please log in to reply

henderson73742

henderson73742

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am new to the forum so I'm not sure if this is being posted in the correct place!! My Dell desktop computer has had issues with blue screen shutdowns and running extremely slow. Upon investigation I found that the cpu usage is between 50% and 100% all the time. It doesnt matter if there are programs running or not it doesnt get below that. I have found that if I begin closing some of the applications that it will come down but unfortunately I don't know what I'm closing so usually I end up closing the icons off the screen! I tried to download fix my pc but that only caused more problems. My computer is only 3 yrs old so I really don't want to have to get a new one. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

Download this and run the software then click the analyse button.
http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
Scroll down in the main window and if crash dumps are in place then the analysis of the reason for the crash dump will be shown.
Please copy and paste the results as they appear to your reply.
Pls do not save the results and attach them as a file which I then have to open.

Pls go start and right click the my computer entry and then click properties.
On the win dow that opens please post the ram details and the processor speed.
Go back to my computer and open that.
Right click the HDD click properties and post the capacity of the HDD and the free space.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 May 2011 - 02:39 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi henderson73742 ... :) ..:unsure:

in addition to what Macboatmaster asked you to do...
what malware tools do you have and have you updated them and run them recently...did they find anything besides cookies

henderson73742

henderson73742

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 9/24/2010 2:27:39 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini092410-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atapi.sys (atapi+0xFCA8)
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFFFFFC07BA4F0, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000E, 0xFFFFFFFFF749ECA8, 0x2CD85860)
Error: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atapi.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: IDE/ATAPI Port Driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 7/14/2010 12:55:47 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071410-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: mountmgr.sys (MountMgr+0x4FFF)
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFFFFFC07BB0D8, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009D, 0xFFFFFFFFF761B000, 0xE94E860)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mountmgr.sys
description: Mount Manager
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 7/11/2010 7:10:18 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071110-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x55E70)
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFFFFFC07B9F08, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000E, 0xFFFFFFFFF73E1E70, 0x1944D860)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
description: NT File System Driver

On Tue 7/6/2010 5:55:12 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini070710-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x22C4B)
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF863B3500, 0xFFFFFFFF863B3674, 0xFFFFFFFF805D115E)
Error: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 7/6/2010 5:29:21 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini070610-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atapi.sys (atapi+0xD384)
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFFFFFC07BA4E0, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000E, 0xFFFFFFFFF749C384, 0x25508860)

On Sat 6/12/2010 3:03:50 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini061110-02.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF8638F438, 0xFFFFFFFF8638F5AC, 0xFFFFFFFF805D115E)
Error: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 6/12/2010 2:58:15 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini061110-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x77 (0xFFFFFFFFC000000E, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000E, 0x0, 0x54C000)
Error: KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

On Tue 6/8/2010 9:19:06 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060810-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atapi.sys (atapi+0xD384)
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFFFFFC07BA4E0, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000E, 0xFFFFFFFFF749C384, 0x2A2A2860)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 crash dumps have been found and analyzed.
Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Registered to:
Mary Henderson
Home
76477-OEM-0071884-69689

Computer:
Intel® Core™2 CPU
6300 @ 1.86GHz
1.86GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

Forgive my lack of knowledge but I was not sure what HDD was. I'm assuming that means the local disk (C:) drive!

Type: Local Disk
File system: NTFS
Used space: 39,309,742,080 bytes 36.6GB
Free space: 210,623,614,976 bytes 196GB
Capasity: 249,933,357,056 bytes 232GB

henderson73742

henderson73742

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you Macboatmaster & happyrock for your help!! I'm currently running McAfee 2010 software. I'm not fond of it but my mom bought it & couldn't return it! Prior to that I had Norton.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Please go start, run and type "cmd"
then in the window that opens please type
"chkdsk C: /r"
note the space between chkdsk and C: and the C: and /r.
Do not type the quote marks.
You will receive a message asking you to agree to run on restart please do so and do NOT interrupt the check.

When that is finished please go start, run and type in the run box
"sfc /scannow"
note space between sfc and the /scannow and again do not type the quote marks.
This system file check may well ask for the XP CD, if you have it insert it. If not see how far it will progress without it.

When that is fininished it will not report a result.

Now go Start, right click the My Computer entry and click properties.
The click the hardware tab and then the device manager button.Click the View tab and click to check Show Hidden devices.
Please now examine the list and post details of any warning marks against entries.

Also please answer the rest of the query from Happyrock

in addition to what Macboatmaster asked you to do...
what malware tools do you have and have you updated them and run them recently...did they find anything besides cookies

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 May 2011 - 05:20 PM.

henderson73742

henderson73742

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok just got everything done I think!! On the device manager I don't see anything abnormal. There was a red x over the Broadcom netxtreme 57xx gigabyte controller but that was due to me disabling that connection to disconnect the wireless router/usb broadband connection. I enabled the local area connection & that did away with the red x.

Sorry I failed to read/remember what all was asked previously! McAfee says updates are current firewall on. The last scan was done 4/21 when I gave up on trying to figure this out originally & just turned it off. Until today this computer hasn't had internet access. The results of the last scan say virus 0 Trojan 3 tracking cookies 1994 potentially unwanted programs 21. I am currently running a new scan since it was scheduled for tomorrow. I will post those results shortly!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Trojan 3 says it all...Please go to Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide...
HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) follow the instructions and start a new topic
here
post the OTListIt2 and Rooter logs ...
The "Topic Title" should contain the name of the infection that you are having a problem with...Use the "Topic Description" to include more details. This will help you get faster responses as some people are more familiar with certain infections....

if you are unable to download or run ANY of the tools...try downloading them on another computer and put them on a flash drive or cd and try installing them that way..
no joy...
start a new topic and let them know you can't run any of the tools..

if your still having issues after the malware pros give you a all clean...come back here and we will see if we can get it straightened out out