Congratulations, the machine is clean.
We need to remove all the tools that you have used.
This is so that should you ever be re-infected, you will download updated versions. It will also remove the quarantined Malware from your computer.Remove ComboFix
Remove Other Tools
- Click the Start button
- Click Run...
- Type Combofix /Uninstall in the run dialog box and click OK
Clean Temporary Files
- Download OTC to your desktop and run it
- Click CleanUp! to begin the cleanup process and remove our tools, including this application
- You may be asked to reboot the machine to finish the cleanup process - if so, choose Yes
Lets Re-hide system files and folders.
- Download TFC to your desktop
- Open the file and close any other windows
- It will close all programs itself when run - make sure to let it run uninterrupted
- Click the Start button to begin the process - the program should not take long to finish its job
- Once it is finished, it should reboot your machine, if not, do this yourself to ensure the cleaning process completes
Opening Windows Explorer (to get there right-click your Start button and go to "Explore"), please do the following:
- Go to Tools (drop-down menu at the top of the window)
- Go down and click Folder Options
- Click on the View tab
- Find the Hidden Files and Folders section of the box and check "Do not show hidden files and folders"
- Again under Hidden Files and Folders, find "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" and check it (if it's already checked)
- Click Apply, and then Ok at the bottom.
- Close the window
And oh, don't forget to take care of the dodgy plantz vs zombie game - parts of it are being flagged by the antivirus as bad.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Below are links to several programs that will help protect your computer.Anti-Spyware
I recommend downloading and installing any of the following applications.
- SpywareBlaster keeps spyware from installing on your system - read the tutorial here
- SpywareGuard protects your browser and computer in real time - read the tutorial here
- SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition detects and removes spyware, adware, malware, trojans, rogue software, worms, rootkits, parasites and other potentially harmful software applications - read the tutorial here
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Other things to keep in mind.
Windows, Java, and Adobe products should all be kept up-to-date on a regular basis so the latest security fixes are in place on your computer. Please refer to the following links on how to manage these products.
Here are a few other applications you might consider. Keeping your temporary file area clean, your Windows registry backed up, and backing up your important data are all good techniques.
- Flush Flash - by Bobbi Flekman - cleans Flash Player cookies
- ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) - a registry backup utility
- Cobian Backup - a very good backup utility - read the tutorial here
- WOT, Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:
- Green to go
- Yellow for caution
- Red to stop
WOT has an addon available for Chrome and Opera.Please remember that just having these programs is not enough. You must use them. Running a full spyware scan weekly, a full virus scan monthly, and checking for updates and cleaning your temporary files periodically is very important in keeping your computer in tip-top shape.
Finally, please take the time to read the following articles. Applying this information will help prevent future infections:How to prevent malware
by miekiemoesPreventing Malware and Safe Computing
This article will help you understand how you may have gotten infected:How did I get infected in the first place?
Remember, you have to be smarter than the bad guys! Be safe out there!