Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where do you draw the line with electronics?

• Please log in to reply

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I was discussing this topic recently with a computer technician. My POV is, not being too electronics savvy myself, that I am reticent to purchase a new computer. The one I have now will be 8 years old this year, but it does what I need to do and I am familiar with how it works. Why buy a Jauguar when a Volkswagen will get you you to the same place? His philosophy was that you can't draw a line where electronics are concerned - you have to keep up with ever-changing technology. I find this sets up an endless "need - buy" loop. Anyone else care to comment on this discussion?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Just because something new is out does not mean we all have to buy it. What we presently have/own will work fine for some but not for others.
When it comes to computers I believe the point of buying/ making would be when the computer really starts costing to repair. The other time would be the OS. An older OS will not have upgrades to the software and therefore be more vulnerable to malware attacks.

I subscribe to the philosophy that what works for one may not work for the other.
I do not own a smart phone. I don't need one. Maybe in a year or 2. Who knows.
My computer is about 7 or 8 years old. It works fine for what I do.
I have an amplifier for my stereo. It is about 25 years old. It still works for what I need.

All of our needs and wants are different. Each to his/her own opinion.

Thunder7102

Thunder7102

GeekU Freshman

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
It depends on what you need. Unlike fancy cars, new computers can do FAR more than old computers. If you just need to check email and Facebook, an 8 year old computer will get you by just fine. If you are like me and need to play Crysis 2 or emulate multiple OS's at the same time for multiple uses, then you may need a newer computer like mine with 6GB of RAM and a quad core processor. My computer is about 1 year old and I am plenty happy with it.

The philosophy is basically: If you will use it, then buy it. If you have no need for such power, then you don't need it. It is your own personal choice as to if it is worth the price. I got a good deal and paid $500 for my computer. I then paid another $120 for a graphics card to make it a gaming PC. Guess what? It now operates just as good as a $2000 Alienware.

getgeeky

getgeeky

• Pip
  • 5 posts
It all depends on what we need.But sometimes what we want overlaps the simple idea of need. its our never ending wants that keeps us wanting for latest items.

Thunder7102

Thunder7102

GeekU Freshman

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

It all depends on what we need.But sometimes what we want overlaps the simple idea of need. its our never ending wants that keeps us wanting for latest items.

And a limited pocket-books that keep us from going overboard. :)

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Bottom line to me is, If the computer is working for your needs, don't upgrade. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I ran the same system for 10 years upgrading only when a part failed or I had a need for a specific component. A little over a year ago I built a new system for myself only because of the newer games and movies I wanted to be able to watch on my system. Hopefully this new system will last me 10 years also. BTW I still have the older system but because I don't have a second monitor or the space I do not use it right now.

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

. BTW I still have the older system but because I don't have a second monitor or the space I do not use it right now.

Go get a copy of windows home server and throw put it in a closet. :)

Edited by gorham, 30 June 2011 - 08:14 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not sure what good that will do as I still only have one monitor.

Thunder7102

Thunder7102

GeekU Freshman

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Setup the server, on your one monitor, and then plug it up monitor-less in your closet. :3 You now can use it for a VPN, store files, and pretty much anything else you feel the need to do.

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Setup the server, on your one monitor, and then plug it up monitor-less in your closet. :3 You now can use it for a VPN, store files, and pretty much anything else you feel the need to do.

:) Plus with windows home server, it has connector software, so you can easily access your server from any pc in your network. No monitor needed ( only on install)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ahh ok.. Never though of doing that since the new system has 3 tb of hd's in it so space is not a problem. :)

Thunder7102

Thunder7102

GeekU Freshman

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

ahh ok.. Never though of doing that since the new system has 3 tb of hd's in it so space is not a problem. :)

And here I sit one only 1TB...care to share one?

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

ahh yeah 3TB seems like you are set, no server needed for you :unsure: