Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

How best use System Restore

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
As an immigrant from Win98, I'm unfamiliar with System Restore. My questions are:

1. Is it really something I want to take advantage of? I am the kind of guy who plunges in to try new software, and lots of new tricks, so I not infrequently really muck up my system (to my regret). Is System Restore for me?

2. If so, should I, from time to time, update whatever it is that System Restore does to store the current state of the system? How do I do that? How often is it good practice to do that?

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,490 posts
1. System restore uses some disk space, but there's really little reason not to use it. Think of it as insurance against the unexpected. If you ever need it, you'll be glad it's there.

2. System restore will update automatically, whenever making changes to your system.