Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 installation media needed

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I just purchased a new laptop. It does not come with a Windows installation disc, as is common these days, though it does come with a product key for the Windows 7 Professional 64-bit that is pre-installed.

How would I go about getting a Windows disc so I can install just Windows (using the product key that comes with the system)? I'm not talking about reverted my new laptop back to how it was when I first got it. I'm talking about installing *just* Windows, without all the software that comes pre-installed. (I was able to download the drivers from the manufacturer's website, so I'm covered there.)

I know I could just ask someone I know to use their Windows 7 DVD. However, I don't know anyone with a Windows 7 DVD. So what is someone in my shoes to do?

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You would have to contact Microsoft and see if they will sell you the media itself since you have a actual key for it that belongs to your system.
It would be a OEM version so no manual or anything will be included. Only the disk itself. I don't know if they will do that but you can try.
The other option is to contact the manufacturer of the laptop and see if they have the OS only disk for your system.