Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb2.0 problem

• Please log in to reply

jb714

jb714

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an Optima computer with an ASUS P4B533-VM motherboard, win XP. Device Manager shows a Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced host controller, 3 X Universal host controllers and 6 X root hubs.

When I connect a usb 2.0 device I get the message that the device will run faster if connected to usb 2.0. Please see hubs listed etc...

When this happened I thought that the computer being about 4 y.o. might mean that it only had usb 1.1 so I purchased a usb card with 4 ports, plugged it in to a spare slot and thought that would be that. ;) No, the hubs on the new card were not being recognised. Not to be defeated I reinstalled the drivers but that didn't work. I double checked the host controllers and root hubs to ensure they were working properly. I moved the usb 2.0 card to a different slot but that made no difference. I took the computer to the shop from where I bought the usb 2.0 card and after checking he said that the card did not work in my machine but that I already had usb 2.0 installed. Ok I took the lump of metal home and tried it again and still the same problem. :tazz: So I started to do some web surfing looking for answers and here I am. HELLPP......

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
in bios, there is possible a setting to enable usb 2.0 or 1.1 support....the default may be 1.1, change it to 2.0

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
also, your motherboard requires SPECIAL drivers (not the default windows ones) for usb

See here:

http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
drat, cannot link to the driver directly, you will have to search for them, but note:

ICH4 USB 2.0 Driver for Windows XP.Important! You need to follow the steps decribed in Readme-XP.txt; otherwise, you may need to do a new Windows XP installation to FIX POTENTIAL USB 2.0 PROBLEM.
ICH4 USB 2.0 Driver for Windows XP.
This is a WHQL driver.
Important! You need to follow the steps decribed in Readme-XP.txt; otherwise, you may need to do a new Windows XP installation to FIX POTENTIAL USB 2.0 PROBLEM afterwards.