Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

5 Minute Freeze After Modem Connect

• Please log in to reply

Tremortime

Tremortime

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
With Windows XP, once I dial up with my 56K Modem, windows freezes up (pretty much) I can still click items on my quicklaunch bar, or on my desktop, but nothing opens. You just have to let it sit for about 5 minutes. Then, all of a sudden, all the programs I clicked on during the "frozen period" all open at once and everything's fine...until the next time I establish a dialup connection. Anyone know what might be causing this? :tazz: Thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, something is using your system resources to the max, then the other commands are getting queued until the windows kernel becomes available.

What? Don't know.

This a new problem, or old problem. What preceded this problem?

Start > run
eventvwr.msc
enter

what happens in the system and application logs about this time the error first occurs?

dillster

dillster

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Tremortime, did you find the cause of this problem?

I'm having the same problem...

Tremortime

Tremortime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Nope, no one has a solution :tazz: I think that there are so few computer techies who still use dial-up modems that not many people who would know are aware of this issue.

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Check that your dial up settings match those recommended by your ISP.
If your ISP has several dial up numbers available perhaps using a different one will speed things up.

Tremortime

Tremortime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
For me, it happens on multiple accounts. I use to use SBC Global and another member of my family used a University connection. Now we both use the university connection for dial-up, and in all the previous situations, it hangs. So that to me would probably indicate that it is not the way the connection was set up (especially the university connection as the university set that up originally with the computer.) What do you think Les1451? Thanks for the help :tazz:

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Try going through thr procedures detailed Here

Tremortime

Tremortime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
What specific part do you think would be helpful in this case? Thanks.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
I do not know much about Win XP. . .(I use Win2k-Pro) but here is my experience on dial-up modems. . .

Usually a serial device . . . .using com port & sharing IRQ
Win 2K Pro has a device manager that shows IRQ conflicts -probem devices

I use a dial-up modem but use USB . . . . no conflicts to worry about!!

You can also use task manager to see what is running or using computer resources

How long have you had this problem
Did you add or remove any hardware or applications
when did you 1st notice problem

I know after I answer these questions . . . . I get clued into the problem and it generally is simple fix . . . . the harder ones may have 2 simple problems.

Use your system log to determine what is running at same time

What type of mouse do you have . . . .sound board . . . or other serial devices . . . . anything new added??

Just trying to help>>>Jack123

nstock

nstock

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I get the same problem - didn't use to get, but it started a few months ago. :tazz:

It is not a system resource issue because if I start the Task Manager BEFORE connecting to the internet it shows that the system is not being hammered 100% (or anything like it).

It is also not a TCP/IP problem because if I start Outlook or IE first and then connect they work fine.

What happens is this:-

1) I connect (using broadband / ADSL) to t my ISP
2) Anything that is already running is fine
3) If I start any new applications - literally ANY application, Task Manager, Windows Explorer, Outlook, Word - they do not run straight away. Some time after they have been initiated, they suddenly appear.
4) I have also proved that although the application doesn't start, the executable is running i.e. if I start the Task Manager first, then connect to the internet and the start (for example) Word, Word does not appear in the list of applications, but WINWORD.EXE does appear in the list of processes.

I run Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster, Microsoft Anti-Spyware, and AVG Anti Virus, but nothing that they find makes any difference.

Would love to find a solution rather that the work-around I use at present
;)

Edited by nstock, 24 June 2005 - 03:12 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

well, something is using your system resources to the max, then the other commands are getting queued until the windows kernel becomes available.

What? Don't know.

This a new problem, or old problem. What preceded this problem?

Start > run
eventvwr.msc
enter

what happens in the system and application logs about this time the error first occurs?

View Post

maybe answering a question would lead to a solution :tazz:

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
How many applications have internet privliges? . . . trying to send large download update

How many icons do you have in start-up tray?

Do you have more than 1 ISP or do you have an "Work Dial-up" connection?

I once had an application trying to connect to my work number while I was on aol . . . . gave similar symptoms

Try different dial-up number

nstock

nstock

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: Thanks for the comments guys - my replies are as follows:-

Don't think that anything is using system resources to the max, as 1) task manager shows cpu use as being well below 100% and 2) I can use the applications that are already open without any problem

This is a (relatively) new problem. System is a 2.8GHz Dell (1 Gig RAM) bought in November, worked fine for some time, then this occurred. I have tried to pinpoint what happened when the problem first started, but cannot come up with the answer.

Several apps have internet privleges (Firefox, IE, Outlook, AVG) but nothing appears to be do a large update as modem stats don't show anything big happening. ONly have the one ISP - and ADSL in the UK works ona "permanently" wired connection so the dial up is more of a log on than a true dial up (and so I can' try another number).

Thanks for the comments though - appreciate the help ;)

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Thanks NSTOCK for the reply . . . . keep us posted on your findings . .
Hope you find solution

What about the oriignator . . .Tremortime & Dillster ?????
Any updates on your modem problem??

Jack123 . . ..

dillster

dillster

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Gents - thanks for your work at trying to find the problem...

I was starting to head down the dial-up modem as being the cause, but as it happens to ADSl as well we'll have to look elsewhere...

Curiously, mines a Dell as well... 1 month old. Very similar symptoms as nstock above...

As for eventvwr.msc - nothing appears straight after the RemoteAccess in System, in Application I get wuaueng.dll and wuauclt starting before I connect and ending a short time after.... could these be it?

Another thing - I've removed PowerReg Schedular from the startup...

I had no problems this time, but I haven't been unsing the pc in the last few days so I'm not sure if that fixed it....

Edited by dillster, 26 June 2005 - 10:48 PM.