Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleted some registry keys now can't open any programs

• Please log in to reply

D Holliday

D Holliday

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
OK, when I double click RecoveryCD.bat, I get the "BootDisk.exe is not a valid win32 application".

I've burned lots of .iso CDs over the last week (ImgBurn), but how do I alternatively create my own "base" iso file?

I kinda hate to ask - but this Recovery Disk is going to work, isn't it? (reference a comment elsewhere on the net about it requiring additional Windows disks)

If you DO NOT have your Windows XP disk

• Please create a new folder on your hard drive called RecoveryDisk
  • Download recovery_console_cd.zip and unzip it to the newly created RecoveryDisk folder.
  • Download the correct floppy disk setup package for your operating system from Microsoft and save it to the RecoveryDisk folder;
    XP Home Original: Here
    XP Pro Original: Here
    XP Home SP1: Here
    XP Pro SP1: Here
    XP Home SP2: Here
    XP Pro SP2: Here
  • Rename the downloaded file to Bootdisk.exe
  • Double click the RecoveryCD.bat file and follow the instructions.
  • When you get asked if you want to burn a CD, type y and hit enter.
  • A pop-up should come up, please click on Close
This just created a file called XPRC.ISO which is located in the Recovery Disk folder.

Edited by D Holliday, 28 May 2011 - 09:42 PM.

Advertisements

D Holliday

D Holliday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Created an .isofile with ImgBurn, and burned CD.....now to see if I can use it...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you explain your issue since I see no clear explanation of what happened or why you arte attempting this.

D Holliday

D Holliday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well, I was premature in saying I had an .iso disc, as it doesn't boot in either of 2 PCs (and other boot discs that I burned DO)

The short of it is, my HP PC with XP Pro SP3 won't boot up (WAS endless loop - now black screen). I have copied my data out, but am still attempting recovery of the PC without internal data loss.

This PC came with OEM-installed XP Pro, so I have no XP disc of any sort.

I have tried virtually every other recovery strategy on the 'net, now I thought I'd try this route.

Any idea about my error message above??

Thanx

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK still you have not explained this.
When you boot up how far into the boot does it go and do you get to a black screen with a blinking cursor?
How are you burning the iso files?
Data, bootable disk or what?
Have you changed the boot sequence in your bios and what is your boot sequence?

D Holliday

D Holliday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
OK, the thread title is carried over from the original thread and does not reflect my history.

OK still you have not explained this.

When you boot up how far into the boot does it go and do you get to a black screen with a blinking cursor?

1. When I get to F8 screen and choose one of the Safe modes, it hangs after showing Mup.sys on the screen....for hours with no boot....just black screen no cursor

2. When I get to F8 screen and choose (what is it? Normal mode) I get a blank screen...for at least overnight with no boot....just black screen no cursor

3. When I get to F8 screen and choose "last good config" - same as #2

How are you burning the iso files?

4. With ImgBurn. I have burned AND booted up on rc.iso, austrumi.iso, Puppy 5.2.5, PartedMagic.iso, Hiren's CD, and fix ntlbr. I know how to burn an iso CD, using a good .iso file

Data, bootable disk or what?

5. see 4 above

Have you changed the boot sequence in your bios and what is your boot sequence?

6. Not the problem - I can boot and "use" (my linux is non-existent) those CDs named in #4 on the PC I'm posting from AND the subject "dead" PC right now. The problem is as I described it in post #1:

A. The downloaded AND opened .zip file (ie .zip file + downloaded Windows bootDisk.exe)doesn't work for me, in that I get the error message in #1 when double clicking the .bat executable

B. When I used the ImgBurn program to create an .iso file from the (opened .zip file + downloaded Windows bootDisk.exe) and "successfully" burned a CD from it (ie no error messages) the CD won't boot.

Thank you for looking at this (<< really - some of the ways I tried to say this read badly).

Edited by D Holliday, 29 May 2011 - 12:51 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

1. When I get to F8 screen and choose one of the Safe modes, it hangs after showing Mup.sys on the screen....for hours with no boot....just black screen no cursor

Ok now this is what I needed to know right here.
Try this below and let me know how it works.

The most common cause is the executing PnP (Plug and Play) and ACPI routines issue.
To fix the issue, we need to access the computer from Recovery Console.

If you do have your Windows CD

1. To start the Recovery Console directly from the Windows XP CD you would do the following:
  • Insert the Windows XP cd in your computer.
  • Restart your computer so you are booting off of the CD.
  • When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R button on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
  • The Recovery Console will start and ask you which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press enter. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press enter.
  • It will then prompt you for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, simply press enter. Otherwise type in the password and then press enter.
  • If you entered the correct password you will now be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt and you can start using the Recovery Console.

2. Type map and press enter.
It will give you the drive letters.
Note down the letter of you CD-ROM.
If it is a letter other than E you should replace the letter E with your CD drive letter when applying the expand command later on if the command is needed to be applied.

Type following commmands, pressing Enter after each one.
  • ren c:\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys atapi.old
    (It will returns to the prompt again without notification)
  • copy c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\atapi.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers
    (If you get a notification "1 file(s) copied" you don't need to do the next expand command and go to exit command. But if you get notification that the file doesn't exist proceed with expand command)
  • expand e:\I386\atapi.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers
    (You should be notified that the file expanded)
  • exit

You may remove the CD or let Windows boot normally.

If you don't have your Windows CD
Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Then, follow instructions from Step #1 above.

D Holliday

D Holliday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
IGNORE THE FOLLOWING ERROR POST - the socket error was apparently on the other end of the (Microsoft?) download - I tried it a few more times, and it worked....[left here to possibly help some future reader]

Thank you for your help!

-----
?? I'm running ARC from my Desktop, and of course did nothing but double click .exe!

I have no idea what this error means

ARCDC.exe.log:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "ARCDC.py", line 356, in <module>
File "ARCDC.py", line 84, in main
File "ARCDC.py", line 202, in download
File "socket.pyc", line 304, in read
File "httplib.pyc", line 529, in read
File "socket.pyc", line 328, in read
socket.error: (10054, 'Connection reset by peer')

Edited by D Holliday, 29 May 2011 - 04:37 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Loks like a faulty download so try it again.

D Holliday

D Holliday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
OK

1. booted the new Recovery Console CD in the PC

2. entered "R" [the single-step "R"] etc

A VERY GOOD thing was that the CD did NOT ask for the dreaded administrator's password as my other CDs were!

3. followed the steps above re atapi - accomplished without expand.

4. Exit CD and remove CD

5. attempt boot in normal mode - black screen / no cursor

6. Boot CD etc

7. run bootcfg /default (I think correctly)

8. run fixboot (I think correctly)

9. run mbr \device\harddisk0 (I think correctly)

10. attempt boot in SAFE mode - hangs after "Mup.sys" as before (?)

Unless you have additional ideas, and since I have saved my data on USB external, and since this is 2 weeks of my $%^%^ with this, I intend to do:

11. In-Place upgrade [2-Step "R"]

If that doesn't boot then

12. Do a Fresh install

What do you think??

and thanks

-Doc-

Edited by D Holliday, 29 May 2011 - 04:38 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A repair installation would be the next step I agree.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.

· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

D Holliday

D Holliday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
OK!

New actual data points!

I found the ntbtlog for the dead PC....it IS different from the ntbtlog in the very similar XP Pro SP3 PC that I'm posting from (altho processr.sys does follow Mup.sys here).

dead PC ntbtlog says:

29 loaded driver Mup.sys
30 did not load driver ACPI Uniprocessor PC

(note that atapi is #18 in this sequence)

What can I do with this info??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep that follows along with the explanation in my post 7

The most common cause is the executing PnP (Plug and Play) and ACPI routines issue.

Since the fix did not resolve the issue then the next step would be a repair installation to completely delete and install the correct files.

D Holliday

D Holliday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
So, looking more - the drivers seem to actually be acpi.sys and acpiec.sys

The file size and date(s) for acpi.sys in my good PC exactly matches the file size and date(s) in the dead one....I will check the other as well.

I think I'll try copying the "good ones" into the dead PC...

Edited by D Holliday, 29 May 2011 - 08:26 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You could use the same steps for the mup.sys and substitute the new file names in it's place. In theory it should work the same way.