Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Slow

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Another thing, coincidently is that my identity just got hacked into a few weeks ago and not just by one scammer/fraudster but according to my state's attorney general I have been hit by every major scam that is going on right now- lucky me!

When was the last time you had a trained malware tech go through you system and make sure you have no hidden infections lurking in your system. If you are continuously being hacked it would signify a possible infection that is not being cleaned out.
As far as Ccleaner I wanted to make sure if you were using the registry cleaner or not and if so then no it is a problem.

Advertisements

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I have used the registry cleaner before. Should I not use it at all? I always do a backup for it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
GTG stand on registry cleaners.
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Thanks I will not use the Registry part of CCLeaner anymore. I used it when I uninstalled something because I thought I needed to get rid of anything left behind. Thank you for all your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Entries in the registry will not affect the performance as they are not accessed if not needed.
If using the program uninstall does not work then you can use this program.
Download and install Revo Uninstaller
  • Double click the Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program
  • Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall
  • From the pop out menu choose Uninstall
  • Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue
  • In the next window select the Advanced mode
  • Click Next to start uninstalling the program
  • Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall
  • When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers
  • Once complete, click Next, then Finish
  • Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
thank you. I will uninstall CCLeaner and use Revo instead.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What about my questions in post 16?
When was the last time you were hacked per say and what steps did you take to make sure you were not infected with a hidden virus?

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
rshaffer61,

that wasn't me being posting about being hacked. Someone else came in on this thread.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep sorry for that it was gloobylul
Direct to: gloobylul

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Please post more information as to your exact issue in your topic. Include any error messages you get as well as your system specs. This will help us to assist you more efficiently.
Thank you for your cooperation.

msbug how is your system running now?

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
it's better than it was, thank you. I have a question about Revo installer. It has a junk files cleaner can that be used instead of using TFC? If so, should I uninstall TFC?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We use Revo strictly for the un-installation of programs and TFC for the removal of Temp and Junk files. I have never used the other app with Revo and though Revo is a great program I trust TFC much more to do the job better.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
This was at the top of my yahoo homepage this morning. An issue has been detected with your computer IPV6 compatibility. So I looked it up and understand what it is. What I don't understand is do I have to do something and will my opening of webpages still work after June 8th?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What browser and version are you using?

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
firefox. How do I tell the version?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Firefox and then go to the top where is it says Help
Click on that and then on About Firefox
The new window will give you the version number.
I am running version 4.0.1 which is the newest version.