Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CHKDSK freezes @ 16% of Stage 4

• Please log in to reply

cpolek1

cpolek1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I've searched the forum for help with CHKDSK, and a lot of what I'm finding is how to *run* CHKDSK, which I already know, so please bear with me if this question has been asked before, because I couldn't find it.

Yesterday all of a sudden my ACER laptop started running slowly and by midday it was freezing at boot-up. So today I tried to do a system restore, thinking maybe a Windows Update must be the culprit (usually is, IMO). I got an error message saying that the C drive was corrupted and I had to run an error check before I could do a system restore.

OK, so I selected to run the disk check on reboot, and rebooted the computer. To my dismay, it had to correct TONS of corrupt files. Then I got to Stage 4 of 5 (verifying file data) and it freezes at 16% complete: 17097 of 550192 files processed.

I tried rebooting the computer again to run it in Safe Mode, but it jumps right to the CHKDSK screen as soon as I restart, not even giving me any other options. Each subsequent time CHKDSK runs, it doesn't find any errors in stages 1-3 (I guess because it fixed them the first time it ran?)

So here are my main questions:
1. How long should I let it "run" when it appears frozen? Its been stuck on 16% of stage 4 for... about 40 minutes now. I read somewhere that stage 4 can take a while, and my HDD light is still lit to indicate activity...
2. Will it harm anything to manually shut down (by holding the power button) during CHKDSK?
3. Is there anything else I can use to check the HDD for errors? Or any other suggestions in general? My laptop has never had any other issues, it just started running slow and freezing all of a sudden yesterday.

System Info:
Manufacturer: Acer
Model: Aspire 4810T
Processor: Genuine Intel CPU -- U2700 @ 1.30 GHz
Memory (RAM): 3.00 GB
System Type: 32-bit Operating System
-320 GB hard drive (119 free, plus 20 free sectioned off in "myWinLocker")
-Windows Vista Home Premium (genuine)

Thanks for all your help! I hope someone can help me solve this problem!

-Christina

*edit*

1. I figured out how to evade the CHKDSK (sorry, that was a dumb question)
2. I booted up the laptop normally.. but when I attempt a System Restore now, I get an error that says I don't have any available restore points! Is that due to the CHKDSK???
3. Still would like advice on another full-system check I can do -- I don't want my drive to crash unexpectedly now! (I already have all of my documents backed up in "the cloud" through Dropbox, but still. A crashed computer is always a hassle and an inconvenience.)

/edit*

Edited by cpolek1, 30 May 2011 - 09:39 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is our normal instructions for running chkdsk /r and notice the length of time can be at least a hour and most likely more to run it. :) :unsure:

Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Reboot after your done running chkdsk /r...
then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press Enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here

We will advise after studying the log.

You could allow it to run completely through as you should and then to actually check the hd for issues you can do the following.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

cpolek1

cpolek1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Reboot after your done running chkdsk /r...
then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press Enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here

Since I had previously manually restarted my computer after it froze during CHKDSK, I decided to check for this log.

1. Windows Logs > Applications: provides me with a LONG list of logs... some of them have a source of "winlogon"
2. Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Winlogon: Provides 1 item "Operational" which has no events and no logs.

Which of these should I copy? If I filter (1) to show only the last 24 hours, I get 17 "informational level" events..

Sorry if I'm "slow". If these are not what you need, should I instead attempt to run CHKDSK again and just let it sit for hours and hours until it finishes? What if it goes overnight and doesn't even finish?

Also, I tried following the command you gave at the beginning of your post..

Go to Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y

but it doesn't do anything on my system. Is there another way to initiate CHKDSK that you would prefer, or can I just go to Properties > Tools > Check Disk?

cpolek1

cpolek1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Also! I've noticed that once I open something (i.e. Event Viewer, Firefox, Add/Remove Programs, etc.) it take 2-3 minutes to close it. Just saying. That never used to be the case.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try it this way.

Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

cpolek1

cpolek1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Right. Okay, so... restarted the computer after telling it to CHKDSK and it blue-screened.

When it restarted after THAT fiasco, it did an automated system repair, and now everything seems fine...

Thanks for your help?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you backup your data or make an image of your hard drive? If not, you should do that ASAP.

From what you've described it's possible your hard drive may be failing. Not a certainty but a definite possibility. Creating a backup now not only saves your data but makes it easy to recover if the hard drive is going bad.

There is backup software built into Windows 7 which some people like, though I don't. I use Acronis True Image 2010 (2011 currently available) at home and Macrium Reflect Free Edition at the shop.

Best bet is to buy an external USB 2.0 hard drive and use it for backups.

You should also download the drive utility test for your hard drive from the HD manufacturers web site. It should be a .iso file you use to create a bootable CD from. Boot it and run the short test. If not problems reported then run the long test.

You can find the manufacturer for your hard drive in Device Manager under Disk Drives.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have to agree with Ztruker with you need to backup your data ASAP. After doing that follow the instructions he gave for the HD testing and let us know.