Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System sudden shutddown

• Please log in to reply

pchaitanyaforu

pchaitanyaforu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I am facing a problem with my computer regularly getting shutdown.It normally works good when playing movies,music,browsing also.But it shut down when i am playing games like vice city,criket 2007 etc. And some times after shutdown it shows in booting that system is over heated and some times it won't display any message.

So, can any tell me the solution for my problem.

My system config:-

Intel 945g motherboard
160gb harddisk
512mb RAM
dual core processor

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
This is what I often see after opening up a laptop that is shutting down due to overheating:

Posted Image

The solution? Throughly, (but gently), clean out the dust and dirt and 'bingo', problem solved. :)

--

BTW, something else you should never do with a laptop:

Posted Image

Since the intake and exhaust vents are on the bottom, back and sides of a laptop, she is begging for a disaster. Something's going to melt and/or start a fire.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

BTW, something else you should never do with a laptop:

That's why there is a small movement to stop calling them "laptops" and use "notebook" instead.

I agree completely with SpywareDr's suggestion that you are having heat issues, as your shutting down during gaming (about the most demanding tasks we can ask of our computers), is a classic symptom of heat. Sadly, notebooks are very difficult for the "normal" user to keep clean of heat-trapping dust. For this reason, I don't recommend notebooks for gaming - regardless what the notebook maker's marketing department would have us believe.

If you don't feel comfortable cracking open the case (and there's no shame in that!!) take it to a shop for a professional cleaning. In the meantime, open every cover, cavity and bay, remove the battery and drives, and blast out as much dust as you can. Use a wooden glue or Popsicle stick to hold fans stationary while blasting - you can force the fans to spin faster than designed, and destroy the bearings.