Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Going wireless

• Please log in to reply

Joemo1127

Joemo1127

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
So I'm trying to set up my first ever wireless network. This is long winded, and I'm sorry if some of the information is unnecessary. I just thought it would be better to give you everything.

The problem I'm having is that I got a Point of Access, but without a manual or anything. I've plugged it in and switched it on. Lights come on. Fine so far. I plug the network cable coming from the router with internet access, into the LAN(PoE) port on it. The orange light goes on, so it knows that I've done that, so that seems ok.

Its a WNAP-1120PE Planet - 802.11n Wireless PoE Access Point

Then I'm using a PCI card which is a Planet WNL-9331 Wireless PCI adapter. This is a brand new part and came with all the software and everything. So I've installed that, and its util allows me to search for available signals. It finds the signal and its strength is 100%.

It even goes so far as to say that it is "connected"

But for some reason I still can't get onto the internet through this. I dont even know where to start. Can I access the module like I can access the router(by typing its IP into the browser). How do I find its IP?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You need to set the router up with provider usernames and passwords.

If you can get into the router typing the IP address that's usually printed on the bottom of the router or in the quick start guide, then that's good. If you set the router up correctly then it should work straight away.