Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MICROSOFT WORKS SUITE 2003

• Please log in to reply

josephine181

josephine181

• Pip
  • 9 posts
When i go to install microsoft suite, it comes up "close these programs before continuing" and under that it has

"Internet Explorer (iexplorer.exe)"

BUT, i don't know how to close it. I pressed ctrl, alt, delete, but it wasnt in the applications.

Can someone please help me, as i am in my last year of school and really need this installed.

Thank you

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you reboot the PC then you should not get IE error, if you do then get task manager then click processes and look for iexplore there, end the process if you see it and look through the list for any more

josephine181

josephine181

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I just tried doing that, i restarted my computer and it still didnt work. So i went to task manager, and tried to end processs of iexplorer, but everytime i ended it, another one popped up!
I don't know what to do. Does having broadband affect it at all? Im a dummy when it comes to computers.
thanks

josephine181

josephine181

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
no its "iexplore" - had me worried for a sec there :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you installing from a disc or a trial download from Microsoft site

josephine181

josephine181

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
from a disc. heres the deal i used to have it installed on my computer. but then my computer contracted a virus, so i got it fixed and now im trying to reinstall the software (microsoft works suite 2003)..

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get a trial of Tune-Up

http://www.tune-up.com

Run disc clean up then registry clean up, then click optimize and run registry defrag, which takes a while and needs a reboot, hopefully this will clear any obsolete entries, which may be causing the blip. I am mystified as to why IE is running, and why it reinstates itself when you end the process.

It may be you still have something left over from the virus, do you run things like ad-aware se, spybot, spywareblaster and Microsoft antispyware, if not you can get them here

http://www.filehippo...are/antispyware

josephine181

josephine181

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Do any of these options cost?

josephine181

josephine181

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ignore that reply. I found out that they dont cost. Im downloading tune up thingo and ad aware right now.
thanks 4 the fast replies. much appreciated

josephine181

josephine181

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I will let you know if these options work.
Thankin you heaps!

josephine181

josephine181

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
:tazz: It didn't work. I did all that you said. and its still not working.

It is still continuing to say to close:

"Microsoft Internet Explorer (iexplore.exe)

Any other ideas??

Edited by josephine181, 31 May 2005 - 02:04 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The repair for IE on XP SP2 involves reinstalling SP2, my experience of removing SP2 so you can get it from Windows update, is that it ruins the PC

You can use the SP2 CD to reinstall SP2 without removing so that would be the easiest route. You can get the CD here, takes a week or so.

http://www.microsoft...us/default.mspx

If you have not got SP2 then installing it would give you a new install of IE

These are worth running first

You can click start then run then type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and you just get a blue progess bar.

On a web page, click tools then internet options then connections, set it to never dial a connection, click apply, reboot and IE cannot connect.

You will need to set it to always dial my default connection and click apply to go online.

Click tools then internet options then on general, click clear cookies, delete files, tick include offline content, clear history

Edited by Keith, 31 May 2005 - 02:41 AM.

josephine181

josephine181

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for your reply. But thats seeming a bit too daunting for me. Ive just run "ewido security..." and it has detected some viruses, so i am cleaning them etc. Hopefully when the scan is completed, and eveythings cleaned up, it will work.

I don't want to fiddle around with too many things, incase i stuff something up. Thank you

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can try an online scan also

http://www.pandasoft....com/activescan

Running sfc /scannow is worth a look as it might replace a missing or corrupt file.

Before you install anything on your PC click start then help and support then undo changes to your computer with system restore, create a restore point then you can revert to it if anything goes wrong.