Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which combination would be best suted for me ?

• Please log in to reply

CustomiZer

CustomiZer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I would like to know which combination of antivirus, firewall, anti spyware is best suited for me.

Previously I was using Avira Premium Suite(promo) and Comodo firewall along with malwarebytes.
After the expiration of my avira lisence I tried out both Microsoft Security Essentials and ESET Antivirus 5 (beta)

I am a heavy internet user and application downloader.

Avira had an excellent detection rate though it gave a couple of false positives too.
I'm willing to try any free AV(avira or avast or MSE) or ESET in the paid category.
I'm not really sure how much good the free ones (avira/avast) are. In some ways MSE doesn't really convince me as much as Avira Premium Suite did.
Hence I would like your advice on which one to go with...I need something with good detection, I don't mind a few false positives.

Regarding firewall I'm happy with comodo. Though I've never tried any other. If any other alternative is better I would like to know about it as well.

An finally regarding antispyware, I have no idea what is good and what to go with.
SUPERAntiSpyware FREE or Malwarebytes FREE or Spybot SD or any other that you may recommend...

I have heard about some like threatfire and immunet which work in complementing the AV. It would be a great help if you could explain those too...

All help and information is greatly appreciated
Regards

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Microsoft Security Essentials
Comodo
Malwarebytes
Spybot or SuperAntiSpyware

This combination should work great for you but remember always practice safe surfing and stay away from questionable sites. Another good program is WOT or Web Of Trust. It can be found HERE

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Since Oct '09, I've been happy with MSE and Windows Firewall. And I use IE9 with Simple Adblock, PSI, and MailWasher Pro. Finally, I use MBAM for supplemental scanning, but so far, it has not found anything.

I am also behind a router, and recommend everyone with broadband sit behind at lease a basic router with NAT - even with only 1 computer on their network.