Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FFXI/Playonline makes my Windows 7 lag

• Please log in to reply

beaute

beaute

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello

I have a relatively new computer (had it for a while but haven't used it for much). Here are my laptop specs:
ASUS G51J
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M Driver v. 275.33
DirectX v. 11
Windows:            	Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (64-bit) (Build 7600)
Internet Explorer:  	9.0.8112.16421
Memory (RAM):       	8126 MB
CPU Info:           	Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU       Q 720  @ 1.60GHz
CPU Speed:          	1599.3 MHz
Sound Card:         	Speakers (Realtek High Definiti
Display Adapters:   	NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M | NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M | RDPDD Chained DD | RDP Encoder Mirror Driver | RDP Reflector Display Driver
Monitors:           	1x; Generic PnP Monitor | 
Screen Resolution:  	1366 X 768 - 32 bit
Network:            	Network Present
Network Adapters:   	Anchorfree HSS Adapter | Intel(R) WiFi Link 1000 BGN | Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) | Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
CD / DVD Drives:    	E: HL-DT-STBDDVDRW CT21N
Ports:              	COM3 | COM4 NOT Present
Mouse:              	5 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks:         	C:  149.0GB | D:  427.6GB | Q:  0.0MB
Hard Disks - Free:  	C:  74.3GB | D:  391.1GB | Q:  0.0MB
USB Controllers:    	2 host controllers.
Firewire (1394):    	1 host controllers.
Manufacturer:       	American Megatrends Inc.
Product Make:       	G60JX
AC Power Status:    	OnLine
BIOS Info:          	AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 02/05/10 | _ASUS_ - 1
Motherboard:        	PEGATRON CORPORATION G60JX

For those of you who are not familiar with FFXI, in order to play this game there is some kind of entry program called Playonline where you have to login to and that takes you to FFXI.

I was playing FFXI just fine last Friday until I turned off my laptop and went to bed. The next day I turned it on only to find POL connecting to servers with extreme lag. After about 20 minutes of lagging between menus I finally logged to the game with FPS 1-, it was going between .1 to 1.0. I thought it was an update problem so I logged out and went to bed.

The problem seemed persistent the day after that so I started looking on the forums but nobody seemed to be having this particular problem. On Tuesday I finally realized the problem was with me only since nobody else seemed to be having it so I started trying to figure it out. Everything works fine on this laptop, that is everything EXCEPT POL/FFXI. I am able to run other games fine, I watch movies/dvd's just fine, I even work on Photoshop just fine.

Then I started playing with System Restore option to rollback to a date when it was working OK, as I was looking through the changes of each restore point I noticed that Windows was installing updates in those. So I went to Windows Update and selected the option that requires me to approve of each update download/install (before I had everything done automatically). it took a few tries but I finally managed to get to THE restore point which enabled me to connect to POL okay. Investigating this problem took about 4 hours so I was exhausted already and didn't feel like playing (although I logged to the game and it was playable and all was well). So I decided to go to sleep and play the next day. I accidently clicked the Shutdown and Install updates button, as it turned out restoring also resetted my windows update options to what it was, so it would install updates automatically. And it reinstalled the update that was causing the problem.

Of course I didn't realize what happened right away, it wasn't until the next day when I tried to login and it gave me the same symptoms again that I started loosing it again. I tried looking for that restore point again, but I couldn't find it, so I restored to the oldest point possible and it still didn't work. Now I'm running out of restore points, I mean, all that is displayed are the ones I have used today.

The Windows update that were installed (that I could see with System Restore) were both Critical updates, I remember one which was a security update for .NET Framework 4 extended. The second was about Internet Explorer 9.

The annoying thing is that it was working fine before. To further describe the problem, and I emphasize that this is only happening with POL/FFXI, other programs/games run fine. I start POL, I select my char and enter the security password, then my SE password and then my security token, and the very moment I hit connect POL lags, if I could see FPS then I would give it about 2~3 FPS, and you know that connecting sound that you hear when your POL is connecting to server? There is a good 5~10 second pause before I actually hear it after I hit the connect button. It also lags my computer in the sense I cannot just close POL, I have to right-click on it on the task bar and close it from there, and even that would take a few seconds before it happens. Switching between windows is also laggy (I would say about 5~7 FPS).

I tried monitoring CPU usage (From task manager) while the game loads/connects and it spikes to 60% at times. I tried playing with POL process priorities and I unchecked QoS packet scheduler from my network settings, still no luck. I reinstalled POL and still no luck. I have no idea what to do next.

I had a strong feeling that it could've been the Windows updates which were relevant to .NET framework and IE v.9, so I uninstalled those but the problem is still persistent.

Can anybody help me please :) I'm running out of ideas and suffering from withdrawal :unsure:

Edited by beaute, 03 June 2011 - 01:49 AM.

Advertisements

glenndrew

glenndrew

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
This lagging mostly occurs due to corruption in Windows registry and the presence of any malicious virus in your system. Sometimes, however, old PCs may also experience lagging while running Windows 7 operating system.

One: If you are running many programs simultaneously? If yes, Windows 7 lag is likely to happen.
Two: Congested or Corrupt Windows 7 registry.

I faced the problem mostly but i fixed it completely, i got some help from this article windows 7 lag . Hope someone might get help from this article also.