Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Limited or no connectivity" with wired ethernet

• Please log in to reply

DevinDarkside

DevinDarkside

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had a power surge that took out an outlet, the telephone base station that was plugged into it, and my wireless router, which was NOT plugged into the blown outlet but plugged into the surge protector power strip that all the computer components are plugged into. But the cable modem was plugged to the phone system for phone service and the computer for internet by way of ethernet(CAT5).

I am now plugged straight into the cable modem.
I can no longer get on the net now....get the "limited or no connectivity" error.
I can take the same CAT5 cable and plug into my laptop and it works just fine.
I got a new ethernet PCI card and installed it....same error message.
I have done the auto-repair...wont work.
I have gone to "network connection"...Internet protocol(TCP/IP) and put in the IP address, Subnet mask, etc...still wont connect.
Someone has told me to try and change video cards and/or sound cards because they could have gone bad and that will keep me from connecting...??
or something has gone bad on the mother board and it's toast...

All other functions of the computer work just fine...programs, games, video, audio, photo editing, etc...

Any ideas???

Advertisements