Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer won't boot

• Please log in to reply

Cakeislie

Cakeislie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Every time I try to boot my computer, It will start loading up then go to blue screen. The error messages at the bottom say "***STOP: 0x000000C5 (0x86569000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x89538206)". Thank you for your help and I can give you any information about the computer you need if I can find it without booting it up.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

That stop code is usually generated when a bad device driver has corrupted the system pool.
See if you can start Windows in safe mode by tapping F8 when the boot-up process starts.
From the Advanced Startup Options, select Safe Mode with the up/down arrow keys, then press <Enter>.

If Windows does start in safe mode, that's further confirmation that you have a bad third-party driver.
If you can recall installing a device recently (ie a driver for that device), that will almost certainly be the bad driver.
Uninstall that driver while Windows is in safe mode.
When Windows is able to start normally, do not re-install the bad driver but instead check the device manufacturer's website
for a later driver version.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 06 June 2011 - 08:16 AM.

Cakeislie

Cakeislie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for your reply, but no, I cannot start it in safe mode. I found that when I recieved those error codes I had left a Windows Vista 32 bit CD in the disk drive and removed it. But when the CD is not in it starts to boot up but before reaching the Windows Vista loading screen it goes to a black screen saying "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". Is there anything I should do here?

iAmXquisite

iAmXquisite

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Im sorry to hear about your problem, I have an idea that might work.

First of all since you have the Windows Vista disc already you already have an advantage.

Im not sure if Vista has this feature like Windows 7 but give it a shot.

Instructions:
- First boot the Windows Vista disc by pressing F2 or F12 depending on your BIOS.
- Next let it start and when it gets to the window where it says install look for a small link that says Repair my computer
- Just follow the instructions its common sense.
What this will do is try to fix the computer so that it can boot normaly again.
This works about 90% of the time so I say you should give it a shot!

Cakeislie

Cakeislie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks iAmXquisite, but when I put in the disk, it doesn't even load that far. It shows the black screen with the loading bar and starts loading, but once it reaches the end of the loading sequence it goes straight to the blue screen.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series (not serial) number.
This needs to be established to determine how you get into the BIOS to change
the boot sequence to CD/DVD drive first and the HDD second.
How many sticks of Ram do you have?