Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Essential Programs

• Please log in to reply

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I know of and appreciate the pinned free software topic, however I would like ideas on some essential programs to carry on an external HDD or boot disks. I am what I would consider a decently advanced user and try to help family and friends with computer problems.Some things (new to me) I have recently seen are anti-virus boot disks, and some linux boot disk for changing/deleting windows passwords. I was wondering if anyone who did this as a hobby or for a living could recommend programs they use the most and ones that work the best(and preferably free). Thanks! :)

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I keep Hiren's Boot CD in my kit, as well as bootable-cd (DOS) versions of the most popular disk maker's diagnostic software (each on a separate CD for simplicity).

Hiren's Boot CD: http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Links to most popular hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic software: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
This is great! Thanks! Only one question, do I have to download them all individually, or is there a Hiren's boot disk image somewhere that has it all? Sorry I looked up and down the page, but didn't see one.

underscor3

underscor3

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hiren's is okay, but I like to use Ultimate Boot CD. We use it at my shop all the time; it's an invaluable tool. :)

There's also a Windows live CD that runs in a Windows pre-boot environment- very help if you're used to GUIs and the Windows interface. Check it out here: UBCD4Win.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Thanks I'm downloading that now!