Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad Install XP

• Please log in to reply

chucksg

chucksg

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I had to reinstall XP on Insignia D400a after the install I needed to install drivers but had to leave, I shut down the computer. I returned and started up the computer but it won't show anything on the screen. Maybe video drivers missing? I can here the computer running and booting up, if so how I do install them without a being able to see whats on the screen.

Edited by chucksg, 06 June 2011 - 10:17 PM.

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Your video card may have failed. Does it show anything during the POST process? Have you checked that the monitor cable is securely attached?

chucksg

chucksg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Checked cables everything is okay. Before the install video was fine.

chucksg

chucksg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
When I start up the Insignia logo comes (looks good) on then the XP start up comes on (looks good) then it goes to the blank screen. Its like I'm waiting for the desktop icons to come on kinda of dark blueish.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
If the logo comes on then you have video output. That's good. Try booting into safe mode. Press F8 repeatedly during the first phase of booting.

chucksg

chucksg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Restarted computer pressed F-8 then it went to the safe mode screen. I scrolled up to the safe mode selection and pressed entered. It starts to work and the it shuts off and reboots. I tried different selections but the same thing happens.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Did you do the one named Disable automatic restart in case of system failure?

chucksg

chucksg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
No, not yet

chucksg

chucksg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Tried every selection on safe mode page, it shuts off reboots or goes to a blank screen.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Well I'm all out of ideas. Someone else will have to help. Good luck!