Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time installing additional IDE hard drive - questions

• Please log in to reply

little87

little87

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I need to take the IDE hard drive out of an HP computer and put it in a Dell computer as a slave drive. Once I get everything connected and am ready to turn on the computer, is there anything else I need to do? Do I need to change anything in the BIOS? If so, what do I need to do? Maybe someone could direct me to a website that has a detailed tutorial of what to do in the BIOS? Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi little87
You do not need to concern yourself with the BIOS at this time, watch the video I have linked to and then follow the instructions below and you will be fine;

Setting Jumpers: IDE Drives

IDE can accommodate two drives per channel, with most computers having two channels built in. The primary drive on a channel is called the Master, and the secondary one is called the Slave. The IDE channels are also labeled as Primary (or IDE1) and Secondary (or IDE2). The hard drive that the system boots from is usually the primary master. Generally, if you’re adding a second hard drive you would set it up as the primary slave. (The secondary master and slave are usually used for optical drives, although they can accommodate hard drives if needed.)

Most drives come set to be used as masters, so if you want to use one as a slave, you’ll have to change the jumpers, which are located between the power connector and the IDE connector. Each manufacturer has different jumper settings, so I can’t give you exact instructions here. However, there is often a diagram on the top of the drive telling you how to set the jumpers, and if not there will certainly be instructions in your hard drive’s manual (which you can download from the manufacturer’s website if your hard drive didn’t come with one).

Another jumper setting, which you can use if you have an 80-conductor ribbon cable, is Cable Select. 80-conductor cables can be identified by their much finer wires compared to 40-conductor cables and by their connector colors (the motherboard end will be blue, red, or green, and the drive connectors will be black for the one on the end and gray for the one on the middle). With both drives set to Cable Select, the computer will recognize the drive hooked up to the black end connector as the master and the one hooked up to the middle gray connector as the slave.

Good luck and let us know how it goes or if we can be of any assistance.

little87

little87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks. As it turns out, the Dell (Dimension 2400) doesn't have a place to install a second hard drive. :) I guess I'll have to buy an enclosure. The last time I looked for them, most of the reviews claimed that they overheated or fried the hard drive, and this was on the ones that had the most positive reviews. So I'm not sure what to buy.