Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting And Installing Vista

• Please log in to reply

VidenTheColdOne

VidenTheColdOne

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I found a computer and got it in working order, one of the memory chips was bad, that's all. So im trying to install vista but there seems to be some problems. I can get onto windows because the accounts are password protected from it's previous owners. How can i format the whole drive, like it was from the factory and do a clean install of windows WITHOUT using the windows disk or logging into windows. Any programs i can boot from cd or usb? thanks.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You need a Vista Install DVD, use the built in Recovery partition if there is one or you can setup Vista to install from a flash drive if the computer supports this. I just did this on a Dell Inspiron 1720 when I replaced the hard drive. To use a flash drive, you have to have a Vista Install DVD though.

I followed these directions to create the installable flash drive: USB Bootable Vista Installation USB Key

What is the make and model number of the computer? The users guide at the manufacturers support site should tell you if it has a Recovery Partition or not and ow to access it.