Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse and keyboard doesnt work all of a sudden.

• Please log in to reply

karonita

karonita

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have a computer, Seems to be older, hp but also says amd semperon. I have no model. Its windows xp pro. All of a sudden without any notice, the mouse and the keyboard stops working. Been searching the web and following many instructions to what seems to be a frequent problem with dell computers. I reset the cmos, i have unplugged the hard drive and replugged. Nothing. I can boot into the bios, usb stuff are all enabled I tried to do a xp pro repair, it gets to the point to where you hit r for repair and if you dont hit r fast enough, it shuts down instantly. Almost like evil working here to make sure i cant boot in. When i boot normally, it goes to the log in screen but without the mouse and keyboard use, cant log in. But i can use keyboard in f8 f9 and f10. I tried to do the command prompt to get to the system restore but seems there isnt any.Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi karonita
What type of keyboard and mouse are you using?
If you are using the USB (wireless) type try using the PS2 type, if you do not have or cannot
loan one you will need to get a USB to PS2 adapter as shown in the picture below.
Have you changed the boot sequence in the BIOS to CD drive first, the HDD second, saved the new
settings (F10) and then Y to accept the changes.

karonita

karonita

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I will try this afternoon. The boot sequence is cd first and hd 2nd. :)

karonita

karonita

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ok, tried the adapters. now its saying cannot find windows/system32. can do a repair by putting in original operating system disc and pressing r at first screen. Now the windows splash screen doesnt even come up. When i hit r and get into repair deal. I hit 1
and it gives me C:/WINDOWS>. Not sure what to put there. Any ideas?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Have you checked out the XP repair guide @ http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

karonita

karonita

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Have you checked out the XP repair guide @ http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

no but i will check.