Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop will not completely shut down after screen replacement?

• Please log in to reply

KINNEY1978

KINNEY1978

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hello,

I had to replace the entire screen assembly on my IBM ThinkPad R52 (Operating system is XP) because my backlight and/or inverter went out.

The screen works perfectly now and I have a perfect picture.

The problem, however, is that now when I go to "SHUTDOWN", it makes the sign off noise, but then the screen stays blue with a cursor arrow on it. At this stage, the cursor arrow cannot be moved with the mouse pad. I have to then physically push the power button for the laptop to shutdown.

When starting back up, I do not get any type of shutdown error message so I'm assuming I'm fine there, however, I would like it to work as it should without having to power it down with the button.

Can someone please provide a solution for this? I'm hoping it's a setting of some sort.

Thank you in advance and as usual I appreciate all that you do here.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The most important matter is that you go Control Panel, Power Options and ensure you are on laptop power scheme and then clicking the advanced tab ensure that - power button is set for shutdown.
Otherwise every time you use that power button the hard drive etc will not properly close down and you are placing the file system at risk of corruption .

Go event viewer and see if anything is recorded to provide some evidence as to what the system records when shutdown is attempted.
  • Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System This one in your case pls.
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error SELECT ONLY THIS PLEASE ON FIRST RUN
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20) in your case enter 15
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
  • Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) in your case the date approx five days ago
    In the To: boxes type today's date
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

If there is nothing recorded regarding shutdown warning messages here try the other two selections please.
You can narrow the field by attempting shutdown and then running the program using just that date.

KINNEY1978

KINNEY1978

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thank you so much!

The Power Scheme was already set to "portable/laptop". However, in the advanced tab, changing the setting the power button to "shutdown" worked perfectly.

Now when I select shutdown, the laptop shuts down completely on its own.

Thank you again!!! You guys are great and this forum rocks!