Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Right click Windows installer pops up with Symantec

• Please log in to reply

gegetaz

gegetaz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, whenever I right click on any file on my computer, a windows installer pops up with the Symantec endpoint antivirus. I tried a few things, but seeing as the windows installer cleanup thing isn't available anymore, that's a problem. I'm not sure how to fully uninstall Symantec Endpoint either, since it's the free version I don't really care if it's gone from my computer.

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. :)

Try the below and let myself know the outcome please, thank you.

Norton/Symantec RT:

Please download this tool and save it to your Desktop.

• Close all programs and double-click the Norton_Removal_Tool.exe then click Run. <-- If using either Vista or W7 right- click on the executable and select Run as Administrator
  • Follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Restart the computer if asked.
  • Then delete Norton_Removal_Tool.exe from your desktop and empty the Recycle Bin.

gegetaz

gegetaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It says that I have to remove Symantec Antivirus 9 or later before it'll execute via the Add/Remove in the control panel. And to do that, you need a password or whatever. This is a free version of it, so I don't have a password to remove it.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi gegetaz,

When the password prompt comes up, go into Task Manager by pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL and choosing Task Manager, then click on the Processes tab. Now find the msiexec.exe process and end it!

Once you end the process, the password prompt should disappear and continue to uninstall.

@ Dakeyras, please pardon my intrusion. :)

Donna

gegetaz

gegetaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did that and it says uninstallation password not provided and closes down. I tried it multiple times and didn't work.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

@ Dakeyras, please pardon my intrusion. :)

No problem. :unsure:

I did that and it says uninstallation password not provided and closes down. I tried it multiple times and didn't work.

Have you actually tried the removal tool I mentioned in my first post? If you have what exact version of Symantec Endpoint is installed and what Operating System is in use.

For interest sake are you aware the aforementioned is not actually a freeware application and is normally used in a business environment.