Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc DOES boot but procesor fan starts and stops

• Please log in to reply

Eggster

Eggster

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've this strange problem... recently my pc started running very sluggish from a blue screen of death. Which was caused by a usb problem I had but since fixed and BSOD has gone, but the pc still is very slow. Even after running registery and anti virus and malware software. So I opened the case and discovered the procesor fan starts for less than a second and then stops then waits for about seven seconds and repeats the operation again. All I've done to try and fix it was to pull the pc down to bare bones an turn the pc on, but my problem still persists. I'm at my wits end any help would be appreciated

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Egster, :)

I would say your PC is sluggish because the CPU is throttling back to protect itself from overheating.

Turn off the PC at the wall socket, take anti static measures by touching a bare unpainted part of the case.
Unplug the CPU fan from the Mobo. Inspect the wires for bared parts or breaks. If they are damaged you may be able to make repairs. If they are OK.

You will need access to either a spare fan or one of the case fans with a suitable 3 or 4 pin plug. Attach it to the CPU fan header on the Mobo. If it is a spare fan make sure to hold onto it.
Start the PC. Do not let it run for more than 10 seconds.

If the fan runs you will need to replace the CPU fan or fan and heat sink.

If the fan does not run or runs and stops as before, it would indicate a fault on the Mobo. If still under warranty, RMA the Mobo. If not.

Make enquiries as to the cost of tracing the fault and making repairs. Probable a too expensive option.

Depending on what kind of PC you have, is it worth replacing the Mobo?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
iammykyl is right on with his assessment... :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Have you sorted out the problem ye?

Eggster

Eggster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry for not replying so quickly. I have had some life issues which i have sorted out now. I do thank you for replying to my problem and giving me your tips. I finally got around to fix this problem only yesterday. I replaced the processor fan and heat sink. Ran a registry check which cleaned out any problems the pc might of had. Generally the pc runs fine now. Games and multimedia running great the only problem i have now, is that any window i open say for instance the control panel. The window opens quickly but the contents take a while to show and this is with all windows. Im running Windows 7 ultimate sp1
once again thank you for any help.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for replying. glad to hear the original problem fixed.

Have a look to see what programs are running in the background, what you don"t need, set to manual, disable or if no longer needed, uninstall. Stop services you don"t need, like net meetting, Telephony, etc. I stop indexing.

Do a cleanup and Defrag.