Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen on start-up

• Please log in to reply

mockingbird

mockingbird

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm having a problem with my six month old custom build that has me stumped. I've never had an issue with it before until this morning. My girlfriend turned it on this morning and was greeted with a blue screen. She tried to read what it said but it she said it restarted. It then went into a loop of blue screen/restart for about five minutes. She tried to call me, but I was in a meeting and was unavailable. So instead she called her self-anointed "tech geek" brother who told her to simply re-install Windows 7 and walked her through how to do it. Whether this was a good idea I have no idea, but as of now I cannot boot into safe mode as it just takes me to Startup Repair.

After SR telling me they couldn't do anything and to contact my systems administrator I'm honestly stumped. The log from the attempt tells me that boot critical file d:\windows\system32\driver\atipcie.sys is corrupt. That was the only error I saw.

Now I just need to know how to fix it.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds like the reinstall was botched some how. I would do another install of Windows 7.

Did she do a parallel install (is there a C:\Windows.old folder)? If so you could do another though I would recommend doing a clean install after saving any data you want to keep.

How to do a Clean install of Windows 7

mockingbird

mockingbird

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I truly have no idea what she did. Her brother has a lot of money and spends it willy-nilly on gadgets so he thinks he's an expert on everything electronic. I just deleted my partitions and am attempting a clean install. All my important data I keep a copy of on an external HD. Fingers crossed.

Edited by mockingbird, 13 June 2011 - 02:31 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Once the install completes let it do an automatic update to get any missing or updated device drivers.

Let us know how you make out please.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

All my important data I keep a copy of on an external HD

Smart move. Sadly, reinstalling the operating system is ALWAYS a last resort option for so many reasons. Fortunately, you had some foresight with your data - you are not a normal user! But with a reinstall, all your programs, including your security defenses are gone. Plus you are set back months or even years in security updates.

You learn nothing that might help you prevent it from recurring. And BSODs are often caused by hardware or hardware drivers. Reinstalling Windows won't fix failing hardware and if the same drivers are used, may not fix a driver problem either. There's no assurance it won't BSOD again. So all that lost files and time reinstalling and all the time it takes to get Windows just the way you like it, is for naught.

As a rule, when format or reinstall are the among the first words out of someone's mouth, smile, say "thank you", and walk away. If other options are not explored first, find another "expert". As always, there is an exception to the rule where a format truly is the first option - those cases typically, though not always involve an in-law who "fixed" it. :)

By the way, have the dust bunnies and cobwebs been cleaned out of there in the last 6 months?

mockingbird

mockingbird

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Install went without a hitch. Just installing catching up on updates and then will install up-to-date drivers after.

mockingbird

mockingbird

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

All my important data I keep a copy of on an external HD

Smart move. Sadly, reinstalling the operating system is ALWAYS a last resort option for so many reasons. Fortunately, you had some foresight with your data - you are not a normal user! But with a reinstall, all your programs, including your security defenses are gone. Plus you are set back months or even years in security updates.

You learn nothing that might help you prevent it from recurring. And BSODs are often caused by hardware or hardware drivers. Reinstalling Windows won't fix failing hardware and if the same drivers are used, may not fix a driver problem either. There's no assurance it won't BSOD again. So all that lost files and time reinstalling and all the time it takes to get Windows just the way you like it, is for naught.

As a rule, when format or reinstall are the among the first words out of someone's mouth, smile, say "thank you", and walk away. If other options are not explored first, find another "expert". As always, there is an exception to the rule where a format truly is the first option - those cases typically, though not always involve an in-law who "fixed" it. :)

By the way, have the dust bunnies and cobwebs been cleaned out of there in the last 6 months?

Yeah, I was not happy when I found out he suggested she do, and when I found out she actually did it without asking me irked me more. I would have poked around through the system when I got home, but since trying to start in safe mode simply brought me to start-up repair I figured I didn't have any other choice but to wipe and start over. And yes, the dust bunnies in my systems at home are minimal. I go through them about once a month with a can of compressed air and a handheld vacuum to suck up what the can of air kicks up.

edit: spelling

Edited by mockingbird, 13 June 2011 - 03:34 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I go through them about once a month

:) Another smart move. I recommend everyone inspect their case interiors once a month, and clean when necessary.