Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to connect to Wifi abroad

• Please log in to reply

savethebird

savethebird

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm staying in an apartment in Germany for school, and there is wifi available and I have the correct password, but I cannot get connected. My network adapter is a Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN mini-card. The channel is set to 11, the security type on the network is WPA2-PSK. I can, however, connect to the network with a wire. I've also found that I cannot connect to the network with my iPhone either. In fact, I tried to connect to another network with my iPhone, and it wouldn't work. I'm wondering if there is a channel or IP address issue.

Advertisements

FINWHALE

FINWHALE

• Pip
  • 5 posts
When visiting England last year I also had the same problem, would connect sometimes but not for long and signal strength was good, and also could connect with wire. I beleive the problem is the WiFi card broadcast wavelength being slightly out of synch with router. Maybe buy a cheap USB WiFi modem, or borrow one, locally and see what happens.
Best of luck.

Finwhale.

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
You should be able to connect as internet standards are worldwide. Just make sure your wireless drivers are up to date and check that you are entering the settings correctly.