Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

case lights/startup

• Please log in to reply

dimi16

dimi16

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well here is my problem...

When I start up my computer the lights on the front of the case do not turn green neither does the light on the cdrom drive. The powersupply starts up send power and starting the fans (the mobo light turns on so i know theres power). The strange part is that on several occasions it has started up and worked fine, so at some times it starts and at others it doesnt. but now it never starts up and i have no idea what to do. when i remove teh ram.. still nothing, i add more ram.. still nothing... i put another HDD onand a light on the front turns red (the one that has an icon that is like a cylinder or something). i will try removing the vid card. I have no idea what the make or model of the mobo is sorry.

thanks in advance for your help
-dimi

p.s. sorry for the badly composed post im fairly sick at the moment

*edit*

9600xt
athlon 2400
512 ram
win xp
80 gig hd

maybe that helps?

Edited by dimi16, 30 May 2005 - 01:22 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Do you know your PSU specs? (power rating in watts & manufacturer)

dimi16

dimi16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
tookout video card npw when i connect to the intergrated audio and boot i get 1 long beep again and again.

dimi

dimi16

dimi16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
well uh its a northstar pc and the power supply is... 250w all i know sorry

Salient

Salient

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

When I start up my computer the lights on the front of the case do not turn green neither does the light on the cdrom drive

It sounds like the connection from the case to the pin on the board has just slipped off or isn't making a good connection (sometimes it works) ... those connections are usually to the bottom right-hand side of the board, they give power to the lights on the case.

You will need your motherboard manual to find the proper wiring diagram ... or you may get lucky and find the wire hanging half off and can just push it back on ... or on some boards and cases if you look real close and use a flashlight they are marked.

The Roms if connected properly are a different story ... You should have lights if the drive is working properly - there is no seperate connection from any DVD or CD Rom that just controls the lights - it's all handled within the connector to the Power Supply. Are the Rom's working properly even without the lights?

dimi16

dimi16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay well i removed the 512 stick and put it in slot 2 and added a 256 to slot one and now it works, but it doesnt work when the vid card is in no lights or anything... what does this mean for my card?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

tookout video card npw when i connect to the intergrated audio and boot i get 1 long beep again and again.

dimi

View Post

You mean the integrated video?
If so, try clearing the bios using the clear cmos jumper on the mobo (disconnect the atx power connector from the mobo, place the jumper over pins 2-3 for about 10 secs, then return it to pins 1-2).
Leave the video card out, reconnect the atx connector & use the integrated video card, then try booting again.

Apart from anything else, I suspect your PSU is way underpowered for the system. You should be using a 350W minimum PSU for your system.

dimi16

dimi16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
1st of all thankyou for the prompt responses and secondly heres what happens now, the compiter loads up goes throught he xp pro loading sequence and them pfft the screen goes black when the login screen should be present the monitor light is a steady green so it still retains a signal.

dimi16

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Get a better power supply.
Also check your cpu temps if possible. Have a look in the bios, some bios's have the facilty to monitor the temps. Apart from that, I would say it is almost certainly the PSU

dimi16

dimi16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i am certainly going ot buy a new power supply, thankyou to all the geekstogo staff for there help especially samm. i hope they pay you people or something because you certainly do a great job and speed up the process of fixing computers enormously. You gave me better support than the company IT line. again thankyou.

-dimi16

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

i am certainly going ot buy a new power supply, thankyou to all the geekstogo staff for there help especially samm.  i hope they pay you people or something because you certainly do a great job and speed up the process of fixing computers enormously.  You gave me better support than the company IT line. again thankyou.
-dimi16

View Post

You don't get paid, it's voluntary. We do it out of love or lack of anything better to do with our time. Not certain which!

It's great to have feed back such as this though, thank you. :tazz: