Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what part to I need to fix my laptop

• Please log in to reply

Kasey21

Kasey21

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite M305D. About 1 month after the warranty expired the screen started having moments when it went blank white. Although in the long run it isn't good for the computer, I would shake the screen until it came back on. Eventually it got worse and changed from a white screen to a black screen until it finally stopped working altogether. I have had it hooked up to a tv for a whil and works no problem, however, now I don't have a tv that can bee hooked to my comuter. I would like to know which part on my computer should I replace.

thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Kasey21
It sounds like the MB to screen video ribbon has either become disconnected or damaged
Here is a link to help you check it out http://www.irisvista...deo-cable-1.htm
Good luck and let us know how it works out for you or if you require anything further.

Kasey21

Kasey21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
hi phillpower2 and thanks for the reply.

all things are connected like they are suppose to, so it is definitely damaged. Is there a way to know for sure that this piece is the damaged part and replacing would fix it. I would hate to buy the piece and it not fix anythings. After all, I don't believe they offer refunds for things such as this... Well if you are fairly certain I will just get the replacement. I don't think they are expensive at all :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The fact that you get a display to an external screen is what suggests it is the ribbon or one of the end connections.
Did you remove the ribbon and inspect it closely, the end connections can become loose or there may be a break in the actual wires also make sure there is no dust in the slots.

Kasey21

Kasey21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
New symptom, and I believe this one will give it away. What I thought was my computer black screening and didn't show anything at all. You can actually see an image if you shine a light on it. First time i noticed. I have only uses my laptop in dark places :G

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Sorry for the delayed response, work and stuff etc :)

You can actually see an image if you shine a light on

Had you said this initially the advice would have been different but at the present time it still suggests a bad video ribbon or connection from the MB to screen, this analysis is based on the information that you provided in your OP:

I have had it hooked up to a tv for a whil and works no problem,

Kasey21

Kasey21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Well I never knew that :G. lol.. My room is dark even during the day and I really never use it in a lit up room :G . I just randomly had the light on while working on it to check the cables and then turned it on and noticed it. lol

I see. Well if it is a connection or video ribbon, then it is one invisible to the naked eye. But a bad connection from the MB to the screen could also mean a bad MB correct? The point is the MB isn't being used correct? BTW what does MB mean? I thought we were tasking about a screen inverter. Based on the link in your first post.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The suggestion to check the MB (motherboard) to screen ribbon first is purely to try and eliminate it as the possible cause as they are far cheaper to replace than a back-light/inverter.
As you have now told us that you can see the desktop if you shine a light into the display + the video ribbon looks good then a bad inverter is a possibility, this is a long shot due to the issues you were having leading up to this but is it possible the settings have accidentally been changed whilst the laptop was being shaken?
Try pressing the FN key (bottom left 2nd key) and one of the F1 to F12 keys on the top row, possibly F4.

Kasey21

Kasey21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
I see. Could it be possible I have a problem with both? Like, the white-screening is caused by the ribbon and the dark screen is he Inverter. It is just that now that I can't really see my screen, I can't tell when it is white screening.

And no, FN keys + trying all F keys didn't do anything.

I'll explain the shaking in more detail and exactly how the screen behaved. I would just shake the monitor sometimes, however, what really actually help the most was grabbing the bottom left hand side of the monitor and press in on the back side. This would usually make the screen come on. Eventually this would become less effective but then I had found something new (this is when shaking the computer came into play). I found that the screen would come on when I would either completely open up the lap top as wide as it can or if I had it barely opened where you can barely seen the screen. When the screen went white, I would put the screen in one of those positions and slowly bring it back to the desired spot while holding the bottom left hand side of the monitor. Sometimes it would go white while bringing the screen to where I wanted it so that was when I would kind of shake it. As I would hurry up and put it back in a spot where it would come on and bring it back to where I wanted it. Sometimes, it would take like 2-3 minutes.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
It is hard to say whether both may be bad I`m afraid, but from this info in your last post;

however, what really actually help the most was grabbing the bottom left hand side of the monitor and press in on the back side. This would usually make the screen come on. Eventually this would become less effective but then I had found something new (this is when shaking the computer came into play). I found that the screen would come on when I would either completely open up the lap top as wide as it can or if I had it barely opened where you can barely seen the screen. When the screen went white, I would put the screen in one of those positions and slowly bring it back to the desired spot while holding the bottom left hand side of the monitor.

Suggests a bad video ribbon, connection or both, add the above information to the fact that you get a display on an external screen and it points even more towards the video ribbon.
New screen ribbon http://www.batteryce...e-p-218528.html you may possibly be able to get one for less if you shop around ( a bit hard for me to do for you from here in the UK).

Kasey21

Kasey21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
I ordered a new screen inverter and I will order one of these as well. I hope I can find a cheaper one. If not the screen inverter would be cheaper by more than $20. lol

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update and please let us know how things work out or if we can help.
As you have already ordered an inverter try that 1st before opening the ribbon package
so that the ribbon can be returned, that said it depends on what item arrives first
and whether the 1st tried component resolves the issue.