Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Core 2 Quad Q6600 Temps

• Please log in to reply

AaronPwner

AaronPwner

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
I usually keep speedfan open 24/7, and tend to watch it closely. In my house the temperature is usually around 83F. During no load I am getting about 44C on the CPU temp which is roughly 28-30C on all the cores (not sure exact temps). When under about 50% load I am getting a CPU temp of around 53-55C. For one I am not sure if the CPU temp or the Core temps are what I should be looking at for overheat, but I know the heat failure is 62C. I am using a CNPS9000 Zalman cooler, and I am not sure if these temps are too high or not. Any information or help on this would be amazing. Thank you ahead of time for anything.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Please download and run http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html provide a screenshot with your next reply so that your temps and voltages can be checked.

AaronPwner

AaronPwner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Alright I was not awake during the hotter part of the day, but I did get some shots during the night. It was roughly 78F during these.

I got one at 10% load with just an HD video streaming, and one at roughly 50% load with an HD video streaming and a game open.

Attached Thumbnails

• 10% load.png
  • 40% load.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The temps are not too far away from where they should be especially for such a hot climate, one concern is however the +12V PSU reading is low and needs verifying can you provide a screenshot of your Speedfan readings with your next reply, see the .jpegs below for acceptable CPU temps and PSU power tolerances;
BTW it is obviously important to have a good CPU cooler but you must also have good front to back case extraction otherwise the warm air will simply be circulated around in side the case resulting in it getting hotter all the while.

AaronPwner

AaronPwner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
A few months back I was actually talking to a few people on here about my 12V rail. They concluded that it seems low but just squeaking by. The house I live in is very old, around 50-60 years so the power has had issues of blinking before. Is there any reason this would have caused it to change to keep the computer safe? I do lots of hardware and software work, but I tend to stay away from the power stuff in PCs so i'm not very clear on most of it. Would the fault temperature be 62 on CPU or on a core itself in speedfan? I have always believed it was CPU, and tried to keep it below.

**EDIT** I have been capping fps in games and programs the past few days, and I know it drops CPU/GPU load. Theoretically it should drop the overall temps of both as well correct? It looks like it in speedfan, but is it possible they are just perceiving it as lower?

Attached Thumbnails

• 12volt.png

Edited by AaronPwner, 19 June 2011 - 09:47 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The +12V rail looks ok in Speedfan but the HDD and GPU look hot.
Download and run Speccy http://www.piriform.com/speccy again provide a screenshot of the temps etc.
Try unchecking the auto detect in Speedfan and monitor your temps to see if they drop any, how many
internal fans do you have?

AaronPwner

AaronPwner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
In the speedfan screenshot I was streaming an HD video, and playing a game so it was using a bit of CPU/GPU. When I am not using anything at all my +12V sits around 11.88. At the time I took the screenshot for this one I only had an HD video streaming. The room temperate is around 82F as well which is still pretty cool compared to what it gets up to around 3-4 PM here.

**EDIT** I have one side fan and one rear fan, the Zalman CNPS9000 is a fan based heatsink as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• Speccy.png

Edited by AaronPwner, 19 June 2011 - 01:16 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Temps look ok then, have you tried unchecking the Speedfan auto detect setting?

AaronPwner

AaronPwner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I have not messed with Speedfan settings at all. Automatic fan speed, or a setting in the config?