Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MMC problem

• Please log in to reply

bugs489

bugs489

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi. I recently god rid of a horrible "About:Blank" trojan that completely screwed up my computer. The virus is gone, but my computer has many problems, and I was wondering if anyone can help me fix these problems.

FIrst of all, internet explorer won't open any websites. When i open IE, it immediately goes to a download box, and asks if i want to download the website i'm going to. NO website will show up. I can't access IE.
-> Because of that, i downloaded Mozilla Firefox via using another computer, and instaled it. But when i try to access any website, an error pops up, saying "The connection was refused when attempting to contact www. <site> .com. Even though im on the internet ( i have DSL), it won't connect.

Secondly, my Quick Launch toolbar dissapears every time i restart my computer, or log off a user. I have to manually put it back there every time i start my computer.

When i click on the start menu, my "programs" list is empty. Also, in my C:/Documents and Settings folder, i noticed that a folder called "Administrator" was created the same day i got the virus. I've had this computer for a year now, and that folder was created just last week. Inside the folder are most of my folders.. but why are they in a new folder?

Thirdy, My "Control Panel" has been renamed to "Folder" and i can't rename it back. Nothing in "Control Panel" works anymore. Whether it be "Add/Remove Programs" or "User Accounts" whenever i click to open it... a blank screen just pops up.. no action.

Finally, belive it or not, MMC (Microsoft Management Console) has been corrupted. It won't execute any ".msc's" such as System Defragmenter, System Restore, "Services.msc".

This virus attacked my computer, messed it up completely, and left me clueless on what to do. So i'm relying on your geniuses at GeeksToGo to help me out.

Thanks for your time. I'm looking forward to your suggestions.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You are still suffering from a malware infection. Work though the malware removal guide at the top of this forum where it says "Do you suspect a malware (Spyware, Virus, Trojan) infection? Please start here. " This enables folks to solve most problems on their own. If you still have trouble after that, post a hijack this log in the malware forum at
http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html