Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM upgrade didn't work - help?

• Please log in to reply

puglet

puglet

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Dell Studio XPS (i7, 860) with 8gb ram (4x2gb) upgradable to 16. I tried to upgrade by adding 8gb of this new ram (2x4gb) to 4gb of the stock ram (2x2gb).

I matched the type (DDR3, 8500) but my system is clearly not happy with the change. Twitchy, stalls, seems generally unstable. Remove the new RAM, things return to normal.

Hate to just dump the 8gb I already have... is mixing + matching a bad idea? Is there anything I can do (besides send the new RAM back)?

Sorry if this is a dumb Q, but this is my first attempt at anything hardware-related.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

is mixing + matching a bad idea?

May be. It depends on what your motherboard supports. You need to determine your exact and full model number, or use the service tag number and visit the Dell website for your computer. There you should find a list of compatible RAM.

Note too that many factory built computers come supplied with a power supply that is barely adequate to support the hardware it came with. Adding more hardware may require a bigger PSU.

puglet

puglet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks -- the Dell site "couldn't complete my request" using the service tag, but kindly suggested I try again later. Of course.

I'll see if I can figure out the motherboard/PSU somehow. Never again am I buying off the shelf. What a pain!